SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socal_gr

New Homeowner...nightmare yard

SoCal_GR
11 years ago

Hello! This is my first time EVER having a yard and I have no clue what I am doing. I live on 1/4 acre and aside from some dead tree trunks, all we've got is foxtails, dandeloins and other various weeds. I want to do this right because I plan on planting a food garden. We were going to to plant this year, but with it being April already - I don't think we have the time to get everything ready and planted before it gets too hot.

I've been researching the best way to fix our yard, but my head is spinning from all of the things I've read. We have a dog, so we're trying to do our best damage control with the foxtails (big big danger to doggies). I am hesitant to use an herbicide since we will be planting food in the soil, (especially 100% against using ANYTHING made by Monsanto).

My rough plan is:

*kill the weeds (I've tried pulling them, but they grow faster than I can pull them, and I've tried weedwacking the seed heads off and throwing them away -- not 100% effective because there is only so much my rake picks up). I've read vinegar, salt water, or boiling water work well to kill plants. I worry if I will have to kill the rest of my grass.
*soil test
*admend the soil -- IDK how
*seed for grass - IDK what type of grass I have nor what type of grass would do well. I'm thinking bermuda, bluegrass or fescus.

We have ALOT of work to do in the back, overall. I want to remove a yucca and a pine tree, and three stumps. The last tenets put huge logs in the back into what is now rotting raised beds. There are boulders sectioning off 1/4 of the yard which I plan on removing. The patio is about 1-2 feet higher than the yard, so there are rocks holding soil up about 1/2 foot below the patio slab and a single area where two pieces of wood are laid down to create a slop from the patio slab to the yard.

Idk if I should truck soil in to raise the level of the yard to be even or slightly lower than the concrete slab or leave it be. It's a big dip when you move off the concrete slab to the yard and I worry about someone tripping or falling.

Any help I can get would be great!! I'm attaching some pictures of the grass we currently have (this is only in 1/10th of the yard).

Comments (10)