SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Fertilizer questions...

Hi,

I am not new to organic gardening and understand the basic premises of using compost and animal manures and cover crops. I am someone who cannot do the physical work required to keep the soil humming. Instead when the lawn is getting cut in the fall and there are leaves everywhere I have someone run over leaves and add the chopped leaves to a passive compost pile or sometimes dig them into a bed in the fall.

I use diluted fish emulsion/kelp fertilizer through out the gardening season, but that is about all I do.

I have a few problems. One is, I always grow containers full of annuals and perennials on the patio and I am just not satisfied with the growth I get from applying only fish emulsion. I often hear instructions to add slow release fertilzer to containers when you are potting them up, which I never do because I don't know of one that is organic. So if someone has some experience with organic fertilizers for container ornamentals, I would appreciate it. I also grow vegetables and use what little compost I have there than on the ornamentals.

Next, I have been told recently not to use fish emulsion any more as it is damaging the ecology and the fish. Can't remember the explanation but it made sense at the time. Any further info on that?

Then I wonder if I need to be concerned with the safety of blood meal and bone meal. Are there any concerns that I should be aware of for those?

I see some organic suppliers like Gardens Alive, and they offer lots of formulations...expensive but are they really worth it and necessary, or can I mix something up myself?

Thanks,

:-)

Comments (15)