SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Gross experiences

xmpraedicta
16 years ago

I thought I'd put this out here for some fun - growing orchids can be pretty clean and mess-free...but when it comes to gardening in general, we encounter some pretty gross things. For instance, a few weeks ago, I took in a few pots of anemones from the garage. I was trying to force them, but found out later that a) anemones don't really need forcing and b) I had mixed up the packages and thrown away my new shipment of tubers and potted up the 2 year old ones, instead of the other way around.

Anyway, the temps hadn't been that cold yet, so I thought they'd have a chance. But nothing happened for 3 weeks, so I unpotted one of them today to see if anything was growing....I brushed off the soil and found the tubers...they seemed sort of hollow, so I kind of gently pulled on one of them, and I found the most disgusting mass of rotten goop inside! It was yellow, sticky, and smelled like fermenting vomit! I nearly threw up in my mouth. I pulled apart the other tuber (smart, yes I know) and it cracked open like an egg to reveal the same disgusting slime. I quickly wrapped up the whole mess in newspaper and chucked it. I still have a few pots and I'm thinking of just tossing everything in the composter.

Any gross experiences to share this 2008 new year? :)

Comments (19)