SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Least expensive way to improve my soil (sandy 'fill' from 1956)?

Stacey Collins
15 years ago

Hi all-

Sorry if this is sort of a basic question.... I understand the basics but am working on a much larger scale than I ever have before!

I've been organic gardening for years but on a very small scale in an urban lot, so making enough compost and buying some bags of amendments wasn't the end of the world.

My new garden (yay!) is 1000 sf, and the soil pretty much sucks. It's sandy fill from the 50's, and a soil test last fall showed only 1% organic matter, low phosphorus and low sulphur.

I had a local farmer come dump some of his cow manure and till the sod in for me with his tractor last fall. (It was just lawn grass before.) I was expecting a good 3" layer of manure, but he only brought about 1/2"... and he was so nice I couldn't complain.

I'd wanted to be all ready to plant my early legumes and spinach and stuff when the snow melts, but now I've got a lumpy, not-really-deep-enough area that still needs work.

I have chickens but we haven't been here long enough for any litter to be composted yet.

Do you think I need to invest in another truckload of manure/compost (a couple hundred bucks!!!!!) and till it into the whole garden again (another hundred bucks).... or should I buy/find smaller amounts of something and dig it into each row as needed (like, a bucketful for each tomato plant and a rowfull for carrots, etc.)?

I guess I need to do two things, as I understand it: improve the soil long-term with organic matter, and add stuff for this years garden to use immediately. What's the best/cheapest way to accomplish that?

I'm in southern Maine, if that matters.

Thanks so much.

Stacey

Comments (13)