SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosiew

Integrated Pest Mgmt in Israel article

rosiew
11 years ago

Wanted to share this. And will be hoping to find more info on how to use the parasitic wasps in my gardens.

http://israel21c.org/environment/pirate-bugs-the-superheroes-of-arava-farms/?utm_source=Newsletter+2%2F27%2F2013&utm_campaign=Feb%2C+27%2C+2013&utm_medium=email

Comments (5)

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Parasitic wasps (and other bio-insect controls) only stick around when there's food to be had (target pests).

In greenhouses or large field plantings they can be awesome. Small home gardeners planting outside may find their released insect controls "here today, gone tomorrow," though.

One can help their small/outdoor garden along by being able to identify beneficial insects or their eggs, and moving them to plants that could use their help. I've moved many a lady bug and wasp-egg-laden insect/grub from one part of my garden to a part of my garden that needed help over the years. It's kind of nasty to relocate an infected tomato horn worm full of wasp eggs, but it's like bringing a package of bio-control from one part of the garden to another.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 17:13

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nc - didn't remember that they could prove to be transients. Dern. The Israeli farming mentioned is all covered. The wonderful thing about these farmers is the huge reduction in chemical use.

Good advice about moving a parasite infected grub. I'm not usually squeamish, but going ugh at the thought of moving one of those nasty, in my mind, tomato horn worms. Will have to man up for that task.

Rosie

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Planting and maintaining a insectary is something that a few of us here have been advocating for years, the Isreal article does not have anything new or that has not been discussed here. The link below is a Growing a Greener world episode that discusses some of that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic pest control

• rosiew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kim, what in the world are you saying here? MOST people don't read every posting to this forum or any other. Many others are newcomers.

" the Isreal article does not have anything new or that has not been discussed here."

How about really thinking before you post. I wanted to share a success story I found interesting and thought some others might also.

Sheesh, Rosie

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Ein-Yahav collectively produces about 34,000 tons of peppers, watermelons, melons, tomatoes and other vegetables ****in protected greenhouses, net houses and tunnels*****.

Because they need that so the bugs stay around. And they are constantly introducing fresh predators.

======
    we have one month during summer when it is not allowed to grow anything in your plot, in order to make a vacuum �" if there are no plants, the insects die off. Then, when you plant in August, you start the season without insects and without any need to spray.âÂÂ

Another thing very few home gardeners will do: clear out the greenhouse for sanitation.

This annual rest period also protects against soil disease. âÂÂWe cover the soil with plastic during this time, and the sunâÂÂs heat takes the temperature up to 50 to 60 degrees [Celsius] and it kills any fungus that causes diseases,âÂÂ

So if they have a once a year sterilizing period they start each year with a ZERO pest load ... good practice if you can do it.