SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria1_gw

Need Help Getting Started Again

victoria1
15 years ago

Hello All. Last year I made my first attempt at vegetable gardening. I chose not to use chemical fertilizers, so I guess that makes it organic? I would prefer to keep it that way as much as possible.

I am looking for advice about this year's vegetable garden. I really don't know that much about gardening, and last year was the first time I ever dabbled in it, which I did only by luck and as much common sense as I could muster.

Last year's turned out "ok" for the most part. I basically just removed the grass from a 10'x15' patch from my yard, planted various seeds in rows, and added cow manure to the soil (which I'm guessing was not great soil to begin with). I covered it all with hay to keep birds out and moisture in. I added more manure periodically. I watered every day for the most part. The green beans, lettuce, cucumbers and radishes did alright, but the carrots, tomato and corn didn't do that great. Things were ok until the summer got really hot (I'm in southwest Michigan), then it dried up for the most part (I went on vacation for a week during which rain was expected but never came....things were just too dry and never recovered after that). I never got to try canning anything either which was disappointing.

I made a half-hearted attempt to compost. I was using vegetable and kitchen scraps, leaves and grass/plant matter, and rabbit manure. I have no idea if rabbit manure is even appropriate for composting at all, but I had to put it somewhere anyway. I have horses across the state at my parents' farm but I'm not about to carry back composted manure in my car. I just kind of piled it behind my garage. I never quite kept up my pile anyway, but I would like to try again this year.

My ultimate goal is to have a garden which reduces my family's exposure to chemicals through food, which will provide enough vegetables for the summer and some to can for the off-season. Eventually I'd like to rely on my garden instead of the grocery store for produce as I develop a "system" and gain some knowledge.

So I am looking for advice on the following (I think I'm in Zone 5):

1.Where can I obtain the best (not genetically modified) seeds?

2. What are some low-maintenance vegetable options? I work more than full-time and am also a student, so I do not have all day to spend gardening.

3. When and how should I start prepping my garden plot for the year?

4. Any ideas about the compost heap?

5. Natural pest control? I didn't have much of a problem with it last year, but just in case.

Anything else you can think of?

Also, I may be moving at some point during the summer. What are some vegetables that are likely to survive transplanting if I want to take a few with me?

Any and all advice is appreciated, as I look forward to a more successful year in the garden.

Comments (2)