SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_virginian

Tilling in organic matter with a Mantis Tiller

the_virginian
16 years ago

I have been reading that some gardeners think tilling soil with soil amendments is not a good idea since it "disturbs" the soil too much reducing microbal and fauna activity. How can this be since the soil is not as compacted to allow better root growth, it has organic matter to feed its inhabitants, allows for better drainage and has more oxygen available since it is not compacted. My typical bed preparation includes tilling the whole area down to about 1 foot with the Mantis tiller, then I add my amendments and natural fertilizer and till it again. I then shape the bed and mound it slightly, plant my plants, mulch and then water everything well. Once an ornamental bed is made this way, I don't till again unless I want to plant something in it later and then it is only a small area around the hole for planting. From then on, once the bed is fully planted I layer amendments like shredded leaves and Milorganite then cover them over with mulch, but I don't till ever again since the pill bugs and worms do all the work and I don't want to disturb the roots of the plants. Am I going wrong anywhere? Thoughts?

Comments (21)