SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Houseplant ID please?

This is embarrassing, but what was the name of this plant? I know it and have been trying to come up with it all morning to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (13)

• carol23_gw
    11 years ago

I believe it's Dracaena 'Janet Craig Compacta'

Here is a link that might be useful: Dracaena

• nel5397
    11 years ago

'janet craig' dracena.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hey again, Sugi! Agree with the ID. My eye is drawn to the one behind it though. Love those leaves! Calathea?

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ID, you guys! I knew y'all would know. :-)

Purple -- the one behind this was labeled "Zebra Plant" when I got it. But I've had Calathea Zebrina before -- and the leaves (texture, thickness) are different. I bought it thinking it was just a different variety but the more it grows, the more I think it's not a Calathea.

I'm inclined to believe it's actually Aphelandra Squarrosa.

Would you agree?
    All I know is this is the world's easiest plant. I've tortured this thing more than should be allowed -- moving it to different spots in the house, outside, inside, bad soil, good soil, over and underwatered -- and it doesn't care. It just continues growing, haha.

11 years ago

Wish I were in a position to know. I don't know those leaves or that name, but LOVE IT! Sounds like it would be a good role model for that Gardenia. Your rubber tree looks good too.

LOL 'zebra plant.' About as meaningful as 'daisy.'

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That rubber tree is my favorite plant in the whole world.

I have an immediate affect on rubber trees -- much like I do on gardenias. Gardenias die upon even sensing me in the zip code -- and rubber trees grow if I even glance at it. :-)

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That rubber tree is my favorite plant in the whole world.

I have an immediate affect on rubber trees -- much like I do on gardenias. Gardenias die upon even sensing me in the zip code -- and rubber trees grow if I even glance at it. :-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Yes, it's a zebra plant. Not for the faint of heart, in terms of fussiness imho.

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

The first shot is of Pleomele compacta, not Janet Craig

11 years ago

It's been renamed, Leafhead. It's a Dracaena this week.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhino,

I'm surprised to hear you say it's fussy! Perhaps it will go berserk on me soon, but to date -- I wish all plants were this easy. It's very striking -- loud, almost -- but no matter where I put it, it doesn't seem to care much and keeps growing. It was next to my Calathea which had developed fungus gnats, and as a precaution, I threw both of them outside in the SF weather, and for a few days, they both experienced lows of 45-50 overnight. The dumb calathea has returned all flustered and not knowing what to do with itself whereas this zebra plant is like, "Dude, that was fun. Now what?"

(Note: they don't actually talk to me. Well, I don't actually hear them, to be more accurate.)

Leafhead - are you certain?
    Googling both Janet Craig and Pleomele compacta, I now think this plant looks like neither. Not identical, anyway. I've attached a closeup of this plant (excuse the hardwater stains; I'm in the process of removing them but no matter how many times I wipe them down, it's just not coming off as easily as one would hope) -- the branch structure seems different from Pleomele. Or is my plant just too young?

I have a mystery plant, at last?? :-)

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Could be a new hybrid, in any case, it is nearly indestructible, as long as u don't over water and give lots of drainage. Thrives on neglect and tolerated low light well. Let dry between waterings and give low to high indirect light, no sun.
    Hates wet feet.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Thrives on neglect" is like a death sentence in this house.

I am repotting everything this weekend. Call me obsessive (many do, haha), but I'm progressively more disturbed at the lack of amendments I put in the soil to make is more aerated. So with the last half of the plants - I did loosen everything up significantly, but with the first half of plants I did previously, I feel like it's just not draining and drying fast enough.

For this potentially hybrid plant, I was looking for the name so that I could try and figure out why a couple of the leaves were browning, but whatever it was seems to have halted. Thank you for the tips on how to grow it!! Much appreciated. But the "thrive on neglect" is now making me wonder what to plant in this pot next! :-D

Just kidding. I'll ignore it.

Kind of.