SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notenoughroses_gw

Extreme fire danger vs. the garden

notenoughroses
18 years ago

This region is in the middle of a massive drought and we have been under the threat of fast-spreading wildfires for several months now. Normally, I would be swiping bags of leaves and discarded Christmas trees and dragging them home to my garden, but this year I don't want the extra dry organic matter on my property. But - what about the stuff that is already here?! The paper today said that homeowners should be raking and discarding all their leaves and removing any dry garden debris. Ack. I have a large garden - mainly roses - but lots and lots of perennials and annuals that bit the dust during a freeze last month. I normally do my spring-clean up starting in mid-February, but it takes me 2-3 months to get everything cut back and cleaned up - and you can't even imagine the piles of clippings I generate. I have gardened here for 11 years and have never let any of my organic matter leave the place! I hate the thought of letting my stuff go to the landfill - but on the other hand - these fires are horrible. I have been watering and watering, but can't even keep the compost pile wet despite turning a sprinkler on it for several hours every couple days. What would you do? Thanks ~ Suzie

Comments (6)