SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwoods_gw

Thursday,January 11,2007

mwoods
17 years ago

"All of the insights that we might ever need have already been captured by others in books. The important question is this: In the last ninety days, with this treasure of information that could change our lives, our fortunes, our relationships, our health, our children and our careers for the better, how many books have we read?" --Jim Rohn color>

Right now I'm reading A Year Of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion..a book of her thoughts which started shortly after her husband died and her daughter became very ill and eventually died.

In the TBR pile ( to be read)

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan..2006 National Book Award for non fiction. Story of the Dust Bowl.

The Master Butcher's Singing Club....Louise Erdrich..A German after WW2 returns to his village marries his best friend's wife who is pregnant and moves to North Dakota where he builds a business and a singing club.

Angle of Repose...Wallace Stegner...story of an elderly wheelchair bound professor who returns to his Ca. home to research the life of his grandmother

I Hate My Neck by Nora Ephron..just what it says. LOL

Imperial Life in the Emerald City by Rajiv Chandrasekaran..true account of American civilians living within the Green Zone in Iraq

Straight Man by Richard Russo..humorous novel about a week in the life of the chairman of a History Dept in a Pa. College.

What are you reading or what do you want to read?

Comments (9)

• andie_rathbone
    17 years ago

Marda, The Year of Magical thinking is a wonderful book. And it's now going to Broadway as a play starring Vanessa Redgrave. A good companion book to read along with it is A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis. It's remarkable how similar their thoughts on the grieving process are, especially towards well-meaning people who tell the person who has suffered a loss that their loved one is "in a better place."

I just finished My Life in France by Julia Child. She apparently started it a couple of years before she died and it was finished by her nephew. I just loved it & could almost hear Julia's actually voice as I read the pages. She was such a wonderful person. She grabbed life with both hands and collected friends like some people collect pots & pans.

In my TBR stack is Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin about how Lincoln took his biggest political enemies and made them part of his administration.

The Places In-Between by Rory Stewart who writes about his experiences walking across Afghanistan in 2002

Alice Hoffman by Alice Hoffman, a novel about being careful what you wish for.

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. The story of life and death in occupied France during WWII

The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards A novel about a doctor who gives his baby daughter to a woman to take to an institution, but instead she gores to another town to raise her herself. This is next month's book group book, so i guess it's really the next one in line.

• andie_rathbone
    17 years ago

Whoops! MAke that The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman

• mwoods
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I definitely want to read A Team Of Rivals. Our book club is doing A Year Of Magical Thinking and we are going as a group to see the play this spring or summer.

• Pidge
    17 years ago

Isabel Allende's "Daughter of Fortune," Kiran Desai's "An Inheritance of Loss," Paul Molyneaux's "Swimming in Circles: The End of the Wild Oceans," and a book of interviews with Allende that hasn't arrived yet from Amazon. Everything else is school stuff.

BTW, Marda, while all my colleagues loved the Russo book, I did not.

• liza070831
    17 years ago

Don Osell's "Growing up in Henderson as I Remember It"(a small town on the banks of the Minnesota River). My son lives there and he sent it to me for christmas. Although it tells small stories from the 30's and 40's in that town, it could be anywhere USA. MY next book will be "The Rochester I Knew" by Henry Clune. Rochester, NY is my home town.

• shadowgarden
    17 years ago

Ornamental Plants and Floweers of Tropical Mexico by Linda Abbott Trapp.

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood.

Grammar Snobs are Great Big Meanies by June Casagrande.

• Janis_G
    17 years ago

I've been reading the historical novels by Phillippa
    Gregory.
    The Constant Princess
    The Queen's Fool
    Someone gave me Fannie Flagg's book,
    Can't Wait to Get to Heaven. I read it one night when I
    couldn't sleep.
    Last night I finished A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve.
    I found it on the bottom shelf of an end table in the
    living room. I have no idea to whom that one belongs.

Neil has some books on discs now that he wants me to listen
    to. One is by Patricia Cornwell, Cause of Death. He says it
    is a good one. I am so thankful that there are ways for
    people with low or no vision to enjoy books. It has been
    so good for him.

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Stephen King-Lisey's Story

• Josh
    17 years ago

"information that can change our lives, fortunes..." Well, that would be my stack of nursery catalogs that I can't put aside until I run out of money...should be soon. ~grin~ josh

Sponsored
More Discussions