SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll # 468 For those who like to read and write

saucydog
14 years ago

Let's try this again....thanks for the inspiration, Denise!

Carry on, friends.

Comments (105)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK Candy I think you may be able to see Niki now.

I have tried to grow tri color sedum several times. I may have a few straggly bits left, but it never does well for me.

V, I'm not sure how long it was that Niki watched but much longer than I thought she would. Maybe the big cats were making some kind of noise that she could identify with.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Today is Ricks birthday and we will be making a trip to the Dr. to celebrate the day. Hes been dizzy for a few days, so Im taking him in. Of course the only available appointment is late morning. So Im spending the morning working on the bathroom walls. A fair amount of time has been spent on paste and bits of paper removal and patching and sanding. We have had a busy week and lots of stressful situations from down south, so we havent made any decisions on the vanity. One issue is that we have built in medicine cabinets with a large mirror in between. If we add the second sink the mirror wont be centered and I would loose my medicine cabinet. I keep all my hair products, lotions etc in there and Im struggling with where I would store these things that would be as convenient. Its not like the medicine cabinet is so stylish but so very functional. Im working at problem solving it. Any ideas? One that Ive had is to keep the built in cabinets and loose the mirrors, buy new mirrors that maybe could be hinged over the old built in part.

The weather has shaped up quite a bit this week with temps in the mid-20s to mid-30s. Although, I hear rumors of another big snow next week.

Candy, your tri-color sedum picture is so pretty. Ive planted it several times and it usually reverts to plain green for me. I believe I do have one plant that didnt.

Our family Christmas is on hold until my parents return from their winter vacation to Las Vegas, Arizona and Texas.

Drema, thanks for posting the potager pictures its fabulous! I really like the diagonal paths great design.

Congratulations to bug and family. Im so happy for you all.

Kathy, Laurens Grape poppy is a pretty color but for me the flowers are short and fairly small in comparison with some of the other annual poppies that seed happily around my garden shed. If you dont get plants I sure can save you some seeds this year. How fun to think that part of me will be in CA this year.

V, the chicken project sounds like a fun project that appears to be drawing all the family members in. I love the blue of your hydrangeas it really brightens up a winter day.

Marian, interesting how Trubbys personality has changed being an only cat.

Cyn, hopefully the pain stays under control. Feel better!

Thats all for now time to head out.

Michelle

• Related Discussions

#349 I'd Like To Dedicate This Idyll To.....

Q

Comments (101)
    Happy Wednesday to one and all. Count me amongst those who has a true distain for dishwashers. I use the one that came with the house to store Pyrex and other breakable cookware. My mom uses hers to store potato chips and other snacks that can get squished. There's just something soothing about warm soapy water. Yes, I do use a dryer but only because I really don't like staticy clothes. V -- the dogs will understand if you show them pics of the kissee :-) But will DH???? LOL Anyway, have fun at the next round. Herchera addictions aren't since there's nothing bad about multitudes of easy to care for plants with amazing foliage all about gardens. Love the hat, 'bug. Reed looks a bit overwhelmed :-) Saucy: I almost cried when I saw the inside pics of your house, since the one I grew up in must've been an almost duplicate floorplan. What kids wouldn't love growing up in a house like that?? Kathy: Congrats, congrats, congrats!! Good heads up to the contractor -- the good ones will respect plants they know are there. Rich has been TRAINED to ask if there's anything he should be careful with before ripping in. If I'm remembering correctly, there is an arbor that your DH built for you and you had a duplicate built in the front?? Are you taking either with you?? Forgive me if my memory is lapsing. HOOOOOZAAAAAAH CHELONE!!! The loser electrician should've been outta there long ago. I needed to hire one this week (go figure :-) and I made him put in writing that he would complete the work in one day since it isn't Rich's usual guy. He was beyond awesome. There are good ones out there... Though I'm loving the idea of you using the salon for economic purposes, I thoroughly understand the hesitancy to do it Right Now. But, with V's wicker and some things I have floating around and Kathy moving to a new house, there's probably three jobs already lined up :-) Michelle: Wow!! I would've guessed that you were a gardener long before living on the farm. Thought of you while watching a History Channel production on technology in farming. How cool is some of this stuff!! The software I saw was for exactly applying fertilizer to reduce waste and runoff. No more mules and scrapers, huh? PM - I saw the same moon this morning and stopped in my tracks just to look. Thanks for making the vision permanent. Denise: Can folks who do what you do for a career write books? I'll bet you have some fabulous stories. A very good girlfriend (GardenXCat on forums) is an upper level legal assistant type and has gotten story telling without breaching confidentiality down to a science. A lot of garden forays have been moving laugh fests at what people come up with for excuses... How is DS doing in NY? Marian: I was trying to describe your red cliffs to someone because they just amaze me so. Would you mind reposting the pic of them? T: VaVaVaVoom!! You've got to feel 1,000,000 times better than you did a year ago. What do you do to get your little darlings to wake up laughing? Very cool. Given the "it's not a recession, yet" state of affairs (tell that to several top-shelf contractors who don't have work right now) we have a very strict garden budget this year. Please weigh in on this thought: For a few years we have been looking at a Newport-style arbor in white. It's something that Rich Could build, but works out to be only 50% actual $$ savings and would take up time when he could be earning money. So .... I'm thinking wrought iron or something similar. It definitely would be truer to the style of the house, would be far less bulky, but I don't know about upkeep. Thoughts? HI to everyone.. Martie
    ...See More

Idyll #319 - The Untitled Idyll

Q

Comments (100)
    Hola, mi amigas. Como esta? Estoy muy, muy bien. Our vacation was fabulous. After we scrambled to get everything done here as much as possible, we REEEAAAALLLY needed it. Our hotel, reminiscent of a Mayan temple, was absolutely gorgeous. We had a Jr. Suite which had an L-shaped patio surround overlooking the lagoon. I should have upgraded to one w/a Jacuzzi b/c its a 2-person type on the balcony. Next time, for sure. We thot about parasailing, visiting Mayan ruins, swimming with the Dolphins, etc. Aside from a little shopping, instead we lazed by the pool, on a floatie in the pool, sat under a cabana w/Cabanas, Pina Coladas, Beachcombers, and any other tropical drink we could try, and had lunch brot to us. Heaven! Our server was a really neat gal. She practiced her English on us, and I practiced what little Spanish I know, with her. This is an upscale hotel and thus, there werent but a handful of kids (little) there. So it was quiet and peaceful. There was a convention of Italian people there during our visit. You could tell them by their incredible shoes, purses and clothing. And oh my, the Speedos! Twas interesting. We cant wait to go back. I didnt enhance any of the photos. The water is truly that color. Hmm, maybe I should recheck our Lotto ticket. Click on the link below to see our pix. Cindy, a belated Happy Birthday to you!!! And hugs to you during this difficult time. Brenda, you really NEEEEEEED a Tree Peony. The blooms are easily 10" across and just spectacular. Best of all, they dont need to be staked as the herbaceous kind do. Wow, Deanne. 54yrs.! Amazing. Congratulations. Were pikers at 30 compared to you guys. Then again, this is the second time around for us. Mary, how scary about Davids mishap. I was always calm during the crisis but fell apart when someone else could take over or afterward. What great kids you have David worried about scaring you and Annie being such a love to clean up the kitchen. Im sure youre proud of them both. So what anesthetic did YOU use when you got home? Im sorry to hear youre still dealing with the remnants of the cold. I still have a bit of a runny nose and cough, although its getting less and less every day. If you had what I did, its one heck of a bug. Eden, I loved that pic of Bella reading. Shes so very cute. Ill bet shes bursting with personality, too. On Mothers Day, my DGN noticed my DS and DSILs painted toenails. So she immediately sat down, took off her socks and shoes and tried to color hers with a marker (that only works on special paper). So when I was commandeered for sitting duties later that week, and it was too cold to plant annuals, we painted fingers and toes. She was sooo good. We took 2 Dora books and read them while the jet-dry polish dried. Im amazed how much these little ones know. My DS bot her a couple of brimmed caps to shade her face. When my DS put it on, Jessica said, "No Gammy, it goes this way" and immediately put the hat on backward! Then of course, she had to add the glasses for effect. Heres the cool kid: Chelone, when I read about your co-worker needing a day-off just before the mem day crunch, I had to shake my head, too. Seems many younger workers have different ideas about things. At DHs co., its quite common for the younger folks to call in and tell their boss that they wont be in b/c: "they went to a concert last nite and are too tired;" or they partied hardy and are just too tired. I cant imagine! Deanne, fabu containers as always! What an inspiration you are. Hi Sue. Glad to hear youre progressing. Michelle, so sorry to hear youre dealing with possible RA. Hope the docs find the cause and some meds to help the pain. Thats all my pee-pickin brain can remember offhand and I have to get outside before it rains. Also, I have to get some annuals, pot up some Dahlias, get plants and make up some containers (!!!), move tons of stuff I just plopped in the ground before we left, move my Brugs out on the deck and on and on and on. Thinking of all and waving HI!" Later, taters Honey
    ...See More

Idyll # 468 - For those who like to read and write!

Q

Comments (1)
    I knew it when I typed it...sorry folks...wrong forum!
    ...See More

?? for those of you like Sharoncb & annt who take GR8 photos

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you for the compliment loves2cook. I have 3 digital cameras, one of which is a Canon EOS SLR the other two are Olympus, one tiny and one middle-sized point & shoots. I use one or the other according to where I am. (The smallest pocket one is for dining out in restaurants.) I don't use fully automatic settings, but rather make my own combination of manual and "scene" settings. Natural light is all I use and since our meals are in the early afternoon I never need an electric light, unless sitting at a dark restaurant table, where the overhead lamp is sufficient. Never use flash for food photos. I'd be happy to write some tutorials starting this weekend over on the Conversations side to share any tips and knowledge I have. But don't forget there's a whole blog of free help at Digital Photography School I have Photoshop but never use it. I prefer simpler editing programs with minimal adjustments of light, contrast etc. Okay now it's Ann's turn and anyone else who can elaborate on how they do it. I will go over to Conversations before Monday and write something that could hopefully be of help. SharonCb
    ...See More
  • triple_creek
    14 years ago

Michelle, would mirrored doors on the medicine cabinets work?

Hope Ricks dizziness is nothing serious. I get inner ear things that make me dizzy.

Sorry about your other stress.

Speaking of stress. Woody are you out there? Thinking of you.

Norma

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. the sun has been shining all day today, I can't remember the last time I saw that, but it makes a huge difference in the day! I am watching Charlie boy today for a little bit, and he fell asleep watching one of his favorite dinosaur DVDs. He knows the name of these animals, and has quite a herd of them in his toy area. He has been interested in them for months now. I thought a two year old would lose interest after awhile.

Michelle, good to see you. Hope Rick is feeling okay after the visit to the doc. I just painted my bathroom. It is tropical blue. I am sure I would win an ugly bathroom contest, the ceiling is still falling down, and I leaned on the wall in the tub the other day to pick up a cleaning product, it caved in:) We have to gut it, and will put up tile, but I couldn't look at the ugliness one more day. It will probably be months before we can get anything done, because it is going to be expensive. But the walls look cheerful while I am waiting.

Cindy, hope you are feeling better! I read you had stomach flu. I think that was on Facebook though. Sometimes I get confused what I read where.

Candy, I really like the tricolor sedum. It reminds me of a jade plant. I am going to try to find some this year.

Kathy you have so many interesting places to visit out there. I am really looking forward to Annie's Annuals. I am not sure, but think my puppy might have eaten my only lotus. I will find out in the spring, if it doesn't show up. She was digging around in the pond, and I think she might have gotten it, but I am hoping it was a water lily, of which I have plenty.

V, I am so jealous of your chicken plans. Our town requires 3.5 acres for chickens. Skip and I looked some property last month, but the market is really bad here, and our house needs a lot of work before anyone would buy it. I told Skip we will just have to focus on getting our house fixed up to a point that someone would be willing to buy it first, then if we come across another property after things get better, we would be ready to go. We'll see if that works on him:) He has the skills, but he is gone so much, it is hard to tackle my projects in his limited time home. Can't do much about that.

Bug, I almost missed the line about your new grandbaby! How exciting for you guys! Mary Kate has a countdown in her kitchen. 15 weeks to go. She is not finding out if it is boy or girl. Jenny took a test a couple of months ago to find out what hers was, the test said boy. She went for sonogram last week, they said girl, definitely. She is due late May.

Mary, I am glad David didn't get hurt with his friends. I know with everything you have been through with his leg, that was your first thought. These kids really put us through the wringer don't they? Boys especially. They don't think things through very well sometimes. I don't think they can help it at that age. It is at the cellular level. Hang in there. You are such a model parent, I am sure you came up with the perfect way to handle it.

Marian, glad all is well with you, and it was just computer woes. I have been having frustration after frustration with this Mac. My bank doesn't support Mac for online banking, and other issues related to programs that I can't get to work right, and it is hard to find someone to help with it.

Chelone, didn't you have a question about a web site? I might be able to give you a couple of pointers. I am not an expert, but do know a number of people who have set one up. When I worked at the university, one of my projects was to research website designers. My department rebuilt its website, and it took months for us to figure out what we wanted. They are not all created equal. There are a wide range of services and standards provided, from basic to bells and whistles. And the platform they use can make a difference, as far as ease of making adjustments as time goes on. But you have your head on straight, this is something you can tackle. It isn't that complicated, but sometimes they want you to think it is.

Charlie just woke up, so I have to run, hi to those I may have missed. Hope the sun is shining in your neck of the woods!

Drema

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Norma - yes, I'm still here; still waiting... We called my main neurosurgeon's office the other day to see if they can push the new one a bit to speed things up. The problem with choosing a 'top of the heap' sugeon is that everyone else has too, so there's a long wait. Maybe we should have gone with someone who could do it sooner. It's impossible to say which would have been the better choice. Needless to say, we're a bit stressed these days... We've been keeping busy as much as possible. I may try to put together a picture thread sometime soon. I'm too unfocussed these days to post here - it's too hard to keep track of multiple conversations so I've only been posting from time to time on other forums where the conversation is pretty much limited to one thing at a time. :-) But I lurk here, mainly skimming and looking at pictures.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Woody thanks for checking in. I understand that things keep you from posting. I just couldn't help but wonder how you were doing. I pray they will find a slot for you very soon. Warmest thoughts coming your way. Norma

• denisez10
    14 years ago

The waiting is always the hardest part, Woody, wish somehow it could be sped up.

And poor Rick with the spins. Cindy's advice to me was have the sinuses checked and try decongestants. Hope it's an easy fix.

The more chooks the better, I say!

'bug, you must be over the moon. How much more knitting can one possibly do? The owl hat is adorable. There's something so animated about knitted garments, as if they could tell the stories of who made them and why.

Sounds like Trubby is doing his level best to cheer you & Nolon up, Marian. He seems to be taking the mantle of responsibility as the sole cat seriously!

I'm in that phase of reading plant catalogues on the computer then rushing out to check for available space -- as if I actually expect big gaps to have opened up overnight.

I noted yesterday on the train that chivalry appears to be quite dead. A small elderly woman got on, standing room only. I surveyed the assortment of males around me, and not one budged from their seat. I tapped her hand and pointed to my seat, and she nodded in relief, so I get up, spilling the contents of my purse over the floor, dropping reading material, lugging my big equipment case out of the way, etc. But she got her seat and I quickly sorted out my stuff. I'm guessing people are more oblivious than lacking in manners, plugged in and tuned out to music and cell phones. Call me paranoid, but I always scan the environment, who's entering and exiting.

V, glad you liked Mitch's photos. The garden photog is new this year. He accompanied me on some local garden tours last spring. I told him he could go if he kept a low profile. He stated his intention of introducing himself to the garden owners and asking them to sit for portraits. I said absolutely not, and we argued the point. He finally followed his own instincts and was absolutely right -- everyone wanted their photos taken. He met lots of people, garden editors, made fast friends, and has been sailing along very well since. He has chutzpah and is fearless in that regard, and I'm the opposite, very timid, so I've stopped giving any advice along these lines! His instincts are definitely better than mine. He met and became friends with designers at the Sonoma garden show last fall, which is how he ended up with photos on Ms. Grubbs' site. He's taking musician portraits at a music globalfest in NYC, and I'm trying to think of glasshouses and other stuff he can photograph in winter. Any suggestions welcome.

This agave was literally steaming this morning, which I unsuccessfully tried to capture, the wisps barely visible on the right:

{{gwi:147272}}

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Kathy, I keep forgetting to ask if you could post the link to the agaves decorated for the holidays? Denise's agave reminded me. If it isn't too much trouble. I can't find the thread it was on, and want to show them to Skip.

Woody, good to see you. You are in my thoughts every day.

D.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Great to see you surface Woody. I understand completely and I, too, think of you nearly every day (as I do most of my virtual friends).

V. the snow shots are fine indeed. As for the decluttering... keep at it. I have about 10 lists scratched on a variety of pcs. of paper and all lists pertain to a different part of decluttering/reorganizing. I take particular glee in crossing off listed items.
    1.) mat for the walk from the side door to the Salon door is ordered should be here in a week/thereabouts.
    2.) the plugs that cover the screws on the Salon door are here
    3.) the missing pc. of awning window trim is here.

I'm not seeing the owl, 'bug. But the lid is a fine example of the your knitting expertise nonetheless. Thanks for the teething primer. Woodstoves are the rockin' best, aren't they?! I am lovin' the stove in the Salon; I keep the place comfortably warm with two feedings a day!

I love the tri-color Sedum. If I ever get around to building a stone wall to contain the garden around Sanitary Ridge I'll have to give that one a whirl. Lover of variEation that I am...

Bathrooms are expensive. Ask me how I know. It was a ton of work, but it needed to be done, so Drema hang in there. It's worth it in the end. Our's was pretty bad, too.

Word on my computer is that all is well once more. I have to go pick it up sometime this weekend or early next week. I may bite the bullet and simply set it up on a temporary "desk" in the Salon. My next JulieJob is to disassemble two olive green filing cabinets (removing the roller mechanisms for the drawers) so they can be powder coated. I figure some elbow grease will make it worthwhile as quality ones are rather expensive. Good "think and do" work...

We're going to see an old friend of the helpmeet's tomorrow. He used to be a rep. for a private label clothing company and has a stockpile of sample fabric cuts (5-7 yds.) all in wool, rayon, and some mostly natural fibre blends. Free for the taking and enough that the back of the full size wagon will be mostly full for the return trip. How could I say no?

Mary, the grim reality is that no matter what you say you ultimately have no control over what course of action your kid will take. This is where you hope the foundation of good, involved parenting and a healthy dose of how REALITY can affect a young life takes hold. The "training wheels" are definitely off and your son is pedalling on his own. I've watched my co-worker let her kids "self-parent" for years now and the results are predictably grim (train wreck in slow motion). Your children are nowhere close to what her's have become because you've made the effort to interact and require them to do so, too. When Mum caught sight of me clearing a 3' jump on my pony without my helmet she pulled no punches over dinner, telling me the helmet had cost X$ but that was a pittance compared to a head injury and the incalculable cost of grief in the face of a needless injury. I never rode without it again. I can still see the anger and worry on her face. Pull no punches and go for the nose. Great call on requiring the offenders to mend the fence, too. I really like that.

I've been trying to think about what sort of information should be on a website; seems like a resume but with pictures. Thanks Drema.

To all with ailing spouses, my sympathies. The helpmeet is a bit of hypochondriac and is a wicked whiner. I cater to a certain extent but Nurse Nancy, I ain't. :)

Good to see you back, too, Marian.

Dinner's up and I have to skeedaddle. Hi to all not noted and I'm appreciative of all photos. Grand entertainment.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

As Gloria Gobbler says, I shall survive! Things are really OK, but I am tired of DH's illness (as if he isn't!) and his lolling about and taking naps on the couch and snoring. Making meals all the time, including lunch is a drag for me, as is being sole dog walker.

Chelone, if you look at the red hat, consider the buttons to be the eyes and the knit cables the body of the owl. There are in fact six owls around the base of the hat but I only put eyes on one of them. I used buttons from an old shirt of DH's, but found that these days they use 4 hole buttons instead of just the two hole variety, which just won't do for this project. By the way, DH heard two owls calling back and forth last night.

I don't know if anyone has come across this book, but I found the title amusing: Free Range Kids. This reminded me greatly of Mary and David. I just may have to give this book a try if I find it cheap in a nearby store. :)

VERY good to see Woody pop in!!!!I'm sure Mysty is good company these days.

Denise, yes I am very excited, a mix of happy and concerned. I understand that DSIL is 42 and anxious for a big family before he is 50, but I wonder how good this is for DD's health. I don't know, there's no convincing her of anything! She is off playing hockey still and has begun Kung Fu as well! Sigh... Oh well, her midwife says not to stop anything she wouldn't do anyway. Hmmmm. As you may remember, this is the woman who played baseball just before Ivy's birth.

Tomorrow is my appointment with my naturopath. A good time to get back on track for me...but I'm not proud of my present condition.

Monday is Phoebe's appoinment with her coiffeur. Poor dear will be bald for a while. Those knots in her coat are horrendous.

Time for color! (It was 35F here today!!!)
    The blue and yellow garden on June 17-09.

{{gwi:147273}}

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I have gone back and am doing more extensive reading. When I encounter something that promps me to respond, I will...
    The first thing I noticed is Julie talking about getting TCS off the computer, and out for some exercise. How differant from when I was a child. It was hard getting us back into the house! Almost all of our entertainment was our outside playing. And we had more months of snow than we had warm weather.

Marie, I imagine it has been guite an ordeal with your DH at home ailing.I home he is well into recovery.
    I am overjoyed at the news about another addition to your family.

RE: all your musings on doing without a computer. It really all depends on our circumstances. It has almost beem a sanity saver for me. Before I got mine I spent hours at the diningroom table putting together jig saw puzzles. Not very educational. LOL. And not at all like having a connection with the outside world.

RE: raw milk. Since I was raised on a farm I was raised on raw milk. I am wondering how I would like it now that I have drank pasturized for so long. In lots of places it is illegal to sell it.
    I have been on a D supplement for a long time. I was quite deficient in it.

Kathy, I have always shut the power off from all my computer parts, via the surge bar. I equated that with 'rebooting'. Apparently I was mistaken. When I pulled the plug from the wall, I was too impatient to wait a while, and immediately plugged it back in. It worked. Seems like a strange fix, but lady's at the beauty shop today said that is what they do, but they wait a while to replug.

Yes, Candy. The deer do eat my hostas. I have been putting up fences to deter them. I took all the protection down too early last fall, and they were cropped to the ground. I decided to look at is as: " Oh, well, I won't have to cut off the dead leaves this year" ! I am becoming quite blase' about all the outside stuff. If you can't beat them, join them. LOL
    And yes, that is a coyote. We hear them frequently, and they are quite a concern if the cats are outside. That will be less of a concern from now on. We hear lots of other critter noises at night, including various types of owls. Rarely the sounds are of creatures that we can't quite identify. I would take that type of critter over the human prowler anytime! The things I read about on the local town's police reports are much more hair-raising.
    The baby crib was mine when I was a baby. Then it was our son's. Now it is stored out in our storage building. It is wooden, and I am sure it is painted with paint that is not accepable anymore. Our son's Alaska lady friend was very interested in it also. If all works out well between them, it may eventually become hers. I do not see our granddaughters being interested in it.
    WOW! I love that sedum tricolor.

Michelle. I hope your DH's dizziness is not from something serious. My meds do that to me.

Woody, I can identfy with your being "unfocused'. Mine is from a totally differant reason than yours, but 'fibro-fog' sure does work on my ability to focus. You never mention headaches. Do you have one most of the time? I certainly hope the docs get to you very soon, and it is successful.

Denise, your experience with the lack of chivalry seems a lot differance than how it is around here. It seems the older I get the more attentive people are....except many of the younger ones. And it is not because I am a little grey-haired old lady. My hair isn't even grey! :-)
    I asked my hairdresser again today, and she said she doesn't think I will ever be grey.

You all have posted some very lovely pics.

Hi to all that I did not address. I am reading all your posts, and all the activities you are involved in. Sorry I do not have much to contribute.

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Thanks for the good thoughts for Rick. The poor guy was sick as a dog on the way home from town. They are treating it as inner ear inflammation. Kenzie had an ear infection over Christmas. When she was with us I asked how her ear felt. She told us that she had an ear "confection" and that she had glitter in her ear and thats why she got a "confection" She thought she must have eaten something with glitter in it and thats how it got in her ear. I get such a kick out of her. So Im teasing Rick that he has an ear confection and he really should stay away from the glitter.

I got to thinking about the song Dizzy by Tommy Roe. Remember "dizzy, Im so dizzy, my head is spinning"? I found it online and played it for him. Im not sure he appreciated the humor. It was on one of those internet radio station sites, so Im enjoying other similar songs. Right now its "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"

bug, I have a blue/yellow/white garden but Im really undisciplined and havent stuck to the color scheme the way you have.

Chelone, great score on the fabric. I dont believe weve seen a picture of the finished bathroom.

Denise, I laughed about you reading and then checking for room. Believe it or not I have the same problem. Not because I dont have room to expand but because Ive told myself I really shouldnt. It almost takes more self-control when you have the room.

Here's a shot of the vanity area in the bathroom. As you can see the mirror is in 3 sections. The 2 sides open with inset medicine cabinets and the middle section is on the wall surface. Its on the end with the sink. The wallpaper is gone, the chair rail as well. The Hollywood lights will go too. I think the vanity will stay and just be refinished as its of good quality and not a bad style. I plan on new hardware and hidden hinges. The sink is in bad shape so the top will be replaced. The tub/shower and stool will stay, so its mostly a cosmetic deal.

{{gwi:147274}}

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

The word rain appears the forecast for the next several days- looks like a stall in the rose pruning activities for the weekend. It will be a good time to clean the inside of the abode and set up the seed area in the garage. And, I need to do some serious work on my picture files ..deletion of duplicates, crappy pics, etc.

Michelle, we sow poppy seeds in fall here, and they are among the first to germinate . I will buy a 4" plant from Annies this spring and let it go to seedthat should do the trick! If it goes awry Ill hit you up in fall ..I need to think about what I might have to offer you in return for all the cool seeds youve shared with me. You need a bit of California in Iowa ! Sorry to hear of stressful times down yonder . I hope for solutions .

Woody, waves to you and I enjoy seeing you on some other forums, places where I commonly lurk while eating my lunch at the awfice. All good vibes to you from the left coast.

Drema, the link is below..enjoy !

bug I just swoon over your blue and yellow garden.

All for me, I am cooking a complicated dinner tonight and consequently it has taken me hour to compose this tiny post ..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Michelle, I was SOOO pleased to get rid of those Hollywood lights last year!!! I'd like to get rid of all our mirror space too, but I guess that won't be for ages, if ever.

Marian, we too listen to coyotes. Only a few of them, but they give the impression of hundreds. I actually enjoy the sound! The only sound I dislike is that of pigeons. They go on and on and never quit.

I remember the time well when I was visiting old friends in Toronto, maybe 2 years ago. I was in the subway, standing at the door waiting for my stop. Someone kept trying to get me to sit down and I couldn't figure it out. Eventually I realized that I am that old lady you are supposed to give your seat to. Gee, don't feel decrepit most of the time! Age is a funny thing. That woman in the mirror is quite disconcerting too. She is not "the fairest of them all" either.

I've been enjoying my knitting for sure. I guess I won't run out of recipients either. ;) I won't want to knit in summer though, that is reserved for gardening.

This weekend Skyler will have his first guitar lesson and everyone is excited. Ivy has her music class in the morning, then they go for lunch near the market, then he'll have his class. Then next Thursday they all (except Ivy) go see Fiddler on the Roof. Sarah just loves this play and knows every word of it from her high school production. Skyler doesn't know he's going yet, a surprise.

Good night all! You know what tomorrow is, right? Ask Sue!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

With a nod to Sue..

TGIF !!

Kathy in Napa-where it is still Thursday !

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Woody - as with many others, my thoughts go to you every day.

Marian - what have you been reading about lately?

Michelle - I hope Rick's dizziness can be effectively treated. DH had a couple of years of it and had to go through a MRI, an overnight stay in hospital and a slew of other tests. For him there was never a definite diagnosis but ear medication keeps things in check with only occasional flare ups. Good luck to Rick.

Denise - I've often thought offering a line of garden portraits taken from the same vantage point over 4 seasons, matted in the same frame would be something that appeals to gardeners. It might not be so dramatic in CA but DH did one for me and it was neat.

GB - hope Skyler enjoys his lesson! Fiddler on teh Roof is a family favorite here and we know many of the songs by heart and sing them often. David does a great "shimmy" for If I were a Rich Man.

Last night was a fun evening with my book group meeting at the George Eastman House for a private viewing of photos relating to the book we read. I had to run after to get Annie to stage crew on time then David to his Chorous performance. I loved everything but was done to a turn by the end of the night and still feel tired this morning.

Thank goodness this is a three day weekend!!

Mary

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yippee! It's Friday!

Hello Woody! It is nice to see your post.

Marian, it is nice to see a long post from you, as well. I think the internet is wonderful for bringing people together. Remember how the cost of long distance kept us from talking to friends and family not so very long ago? I wrote a lot of letters to friends when I was a kid. I played outside a lot, too, as do my kids when it is warm. They've lost their best friends in the neighborhood so the dynamic may change now, but Sarah is old enough to use the crosswalk now and go to another neighborhood to visit her friend, Sarah...I don't know how they tell each other apart :)

There is a beautiful sunrise this morning.

Sarah and Jake have a half day today. Those kids are always on vacation (I'm just teasing).

I lost a filling a couple of days ago, so I have to go to the dentist this afternoon. My least favorite of the preventative maintenance team :) She is good, though, and puts headphones on me with soothing music and takes special care.

I need to order all my castor bean seeds. I am also starting to think of starting some projects out in the garage. I can think of two things I'd really like done before the real garden season begins.

I would like more bee hives this year. I started a new book about beekeeping and she's got me convinced that I need more hives.

I need to get off the computer because I'm just full of ideas this morning and I could chatter on forever.

Saucy

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Kathy thanks for the link to the agaves, I wanted to make sure to say thanks before my day got away from me. They make me smile, and I put them on my bookmark.

Denise, I just love Mitch's photography. I can't tell you how many times I say to myself, I wish I could get him to take a family portrait for me. Does he have photography training, or self taught?

Devin has a 4 day weekend, so he came over last night, and Skip took the day off, so we are going to try to get some things done around here, and have some fun, too.I would like to try to see Avatar before it leaves the big screen. It doesn't sound like the plot is great, but the visuals are supposed to be stunning. (Especially the plants, lol,) I have to scoot and do a few errands before the fun begins. Hope you all have a great day!

D.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Mary, I ran out of steam last night, and failed to comment on the theme of this thread. I quit writing letters a long time ago, and most of my reading is on the internet and the local newspapers. While my computer was offline I read a bunch of my Reader's Digests that had never been removed from their wrappers. They are dated from 2006 on to when I stopped subscribing to them. A while back I read a story in a Reader's Digest Special Edition book. It was "The Wailing Wind" by Tony Hillerman. I like his stories.
    The odd thing is....my eyes bothered me really bad, from the reading of the books. They do not bother me that way when reading on the computer. Maybe it is the lighting? Or the position that I am looking? I can't hold books up to the same position, because of my arms.
    I do need to get to an eye doctor. The vision in my left eye is not good, and my expensive glasses do not help.

Michelle, I am thinking of Rick also. I cannot imagine how miserable that must be. I do hope it is all cleared up.

Marian

• candy_j
    14 years ago

A very grey overcast morning here but temps are in the 30s and I do believe the January thaw is underway. Not to be confused with the end of winter, just a break in the weather to give us in the Midwest a glimmer of light in the tunnel. Tis the season of dirty black snow and salty white cars. My first stop today will be the car wash and then Im going to a garden center. Marian, Ive got the itch to try an Amaryllis thanks to all your houseplant photos.

I hope the tricolor sedum comes back, didnt realize it could be so iffy or show a tendency to revert. The foliage was my primary interest and when those little rosette blooms appeared I was pleasantly surprised. Remember taking the pic so I could enjoy the visual again in this winter. Planted in a stone trough, actually a broken piece of an old fountain, that was so heavy I didnt know how to dispose of it. Wish I had a stone wall, Chelone. After your comment, I cant shake the vision how cool that would look.

Norma, I still couldnt see Nike but thanks for whatever you tried. Guess you have to belong to FB in order to sign in. I dont think FB is for me from what Ive heard but it would be fun to just pop in and see what that little feline of yours was doing, lol.

Drema, I understand the need to paint and it does help. Unfortunate about the wall but I bet you come up with a quick fix camouflage for that, too. Last spring I painted our exterior window frames even though we plan on replacing them this year. They look so much better DH is tempted to hold off spending the money now for another year.

Hi Woody, glad to see an update from you. Truthfully, I was under the wrong impressionI thought you had a date set for mid January. Warm thoughts and fingers crossed that things get sped up and youre not dealing with headaches too often.

Denise, Ive probably missed some of Mitchs photography before I arrived or in the first weeks of sorting out the Idylls. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more now that Ive got my bearings. Love the Agave photothey have such beautiful shades of blue. It will be months before anything steams around here, thats for sure.

Michelle, good to read Ricks dizziness was a simple ear confectionsuch a cute explanation by Kenzie. Im sure youre both relieved though since its one of those scary symptoms that need immediate attention. I was just going to ask you to post a bathroom photo and here it is! I agree, the vanity is fine and I would never give up functional without serious consideration. Giving up functional can create other problems for me. Cant wait to see the after viewyep, I had a collection of similar perfume bottles. Still have our Hollywood lights. Hey, I didnt know any better!slacking off on décor, it seems.

Saucy, nice to hear youre bubbling over with plans. I believe that to be happy and content a person needs one short term goal and a long term goal to look forward to achieving. Works for me! Could you post a bit about your castor beans (varieties?) and how you grow them? I did it once, however, cutting it down in the fall was so labor intensive I swore never again. Oh, but the foliage was spectacular!and Im getting that January itch for planning and possibilitiesdaring myself to plant one or two seedsmaybe.

Kathy, lolwhat were you cooking last night? I cant grasp you pruning roses and working in the garden, its beyond my realm this time of year. I need more photos, proof that your garden exists! Thanks for the holiday agave link. I got a kick out of her bracing herself on a cactus and twisting to get one of the shots. Love it when theres a story behind a photograph.. Ill have one about my next misc. pic of the daywhich I cant find right now. Will need to locate it and post later today as Im running way behind.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Candy, I am glad you mentioned Amaryllis. It prompted me to dig my pan full out from under the utilityroom stairs. Now I will have to add more rocks in the open spaces to prevent Trubby from using it for a literbox! I discovered that is one of the places he was utilizing, as well as the Canna tub! I bought fresh liter in town yesterday, and cleaned out his box, so hopefully he will go back to using it.

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Hi Marian!Trubby must be enticed by the earthy smell of a plant tub, lol. Nice and private too, under the stairsI didnt realize your home had a basement. I got waylaid at the car wash with a phone call and didnt make the garden center. Had to come home and wait for a delivery, darn it. Wish I could watch what youre doing to set up for growing the Amaryllismaybe post some pictures?

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Candy, It isn't a basement. The utilityroom is at ground level. The rest of the house is on a raised foundation, and lots higher at one end due to the slope of our land. That room is about in the center of the back of the house.It is four steps down from the breakfast room to the utility floor, so there is a landing that we go out onto, with a door that opens onto the deck, and steps down to the utilityroom's cement floor. All of our firewood is carried into that room, and up the steps into the house.
    The front porch is only 3 steps up, but all the way around the house from the woodshed.

• candy_j
    14 years ago

The utilityroom sounds great, Marian, was it an add-on? I love those kinds of little rooms; they always seem to have a customized charm of their own no matter what they contain.
    OK, I found and hopefully resized the missing photo. Before I post it Ill tell you the story behind its simple appearance.

It was very hot and humid that day and I had watered, worked up a new area, dead headed, etc. I was glowing something fierce (sweating like a horse) my shorts and top bagged out, hair sticking out of my self designed apache headband.. Time got away from me; I hadnt photographed some container plants that I had planned. I was afraid these little petals would deteriorate on the Dwarf Impatiens. So I bring out the camera and begin taking shots, thinking to get lower for the angle I want. No big deal, Im used to contorting into whatever position gives me a good photo. Im heading directly for the shower after this and just decide to lay on my side in the mulch, only raising my head. Click, click, click. and then there was a small rustleslight movement that startled me into a convulsive jerk. My legs did a fast scissor kick before I jack knifed up off the path. There stood a wide eyed utility man, frozen to the spot where hed cut through the side yard from around the privet hedge.

After a few heartbeats I managed to take a step forward (and he literally took one step BACK from the filthy, disheveled creature with mulch sticking to the sweat along her right arm and leg) and croak out, "sorry ..just taking a picture." He swallowed without a blink and said, "yes maam" and I fled to the house.

What irked me was that scissor kick, probably looked like a spasm dogs do when theyre asleep and dreaming. Later that evening I told DH about it while we were relaxing on the patio and he made me tell it twice, laughing his head off. He couldnt get over the scissor kick was causing me the most embarrassment in light of the whole scenario.

Misc Pic of the day:

{{gwi:147275}}

Off to accomplish something around here before dinner out toinght, yippee!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

LOLROF...Candy! I read that to my husband and he even chuckled! What a hoot!
    Yes, the utility room was an add on. My husband did all the building, from the foundations to the roofing; to the wiring and plumbing. He was very handy at that, and it was his occupation.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

It's the weekend - at long last, yippee!

Love those plant shots -- I think I've got the tricolor sedum; I'll have to see if it survived; I brought in a couple tender sedums to overwinter and they've been languishing and drying up on the plant shelf; not so pretty.... I finally cut some of them back and that seems to have improved them. They're behaving like some of the agaves and definitely sulking.

Michelle - glad to hear Rick may be feeling better - I think I told this before as Denise mentioned, but I've suffered w/ vertigo/labyrinthitis for over 20 years on and off, just depending on allergies and colds filling up my ear with fluid (been thru all the tests too, including the Chinese water torture test)-- I can empathize with Rick about not finding much to be amused of when the world is spinning and you're trying not to hurl, LOL....It is one of my very least favorite feelings. I do love the glitter/confection story! Kids say the most wonderful things.....

Michelle - I have never understood some of the recent decorating trends in bathrooms -- it seems to delete all storage and utilitarian organization -- even pedestal sinks while pretty, dont have that all important storage -- unless one designs huge linen closets to house all the stuff and the meds and other things that would also be in the non-existent medicine cabinets. I've seen some attractive cabinets -- maybe that would be one option to check out. I've got a huge mirror setup like that in my bathroom too...

Congrats, 'bug on the next addition -- it's amazing how some folks just take to parenting and pregnancy without missing a step.... Gee seems like there are lots of idyllkins hatching this year!

Im starting to get a bit excited for garden plans too -- I too laughed at the idea of Denise checking plant size in catalogs and popping outside to see where it could live - now be sure to make a note of it. That's what I do - forget where I thought I find a home for it; I write it down and then think I was crazy when it was time to jam all the combo together (obviously this required me to think in combos rather than single plants...)

Been checking out airfare prices to CA too - they've gone down; might be the right time to buy....

Mary, so glad to hear David's skiing; it's amazing how kids' memories are so short-term too tho - that invincibility fault of the young I guess.

I'll try to check in again this weekend -- last one was filled w/ stock club stuff and somehow I caught an intestinal bug that has challenged me -- made for a very harrowing metro commute one nite so I had to stay home til the meds set in but this bug has been very determined to stay -- Im so tired of rice, LOL -- I imagine Cyn's tired of clear fluids and soft foods too by now?

We're supposed to get at least an inch of rain on Sunday - Im happy to have the rain and no snow! and the big blobs of black iced sludge will melt away too....

-Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good evening IdyllsFriday night at last , and strategy for the weekend is being formulated. Looks like it will be primarily indoors.

Candy, the winter gardening thing can be a double edged sword , and I confess that I dont use it to its fullest. We can grow cool season veggies like peas, lettuce cauliflower etc over the winter ..I always declare that I am going to do lettuce but I just dont have agood setup for it right now. Wouldnt I love a small slice of Chelones vegetable world. Chicken Marsala last night..not a difficult dish but it always seems to use numerous pots and pans due to separately prepared ingredients that are then all thrown together at the end. My kitchen looked liked a bomb went off after I was done. I made enough for 3 nights though, so Im set for tonight and Monday. Lol your utility man story-what a visual ! .. I am reminded of the now legendary tale of Mary , the lime green undies and the UPS guy. Beautiful pic by the waydo you have a separate macro lens or was this the basic macro setting on your camera ?

Denise, the winter catalog WALAT is a grand tradition here , and usually ends up with me purchasing stuff whether I have room or not ..not being the more common status.

Cindy, I expanded my Sedum collection appreciably last summer. Think I got at least 8 cultivars I can think of, but am still missing that variegated number we saw at Sues-I took about 6 pics of it so I wouldn't forget.

Mary, I have plans to take a seasonal series this year-this part of Calif does get 4 distinct (to us) seasons , though the winter is mostly mud, and not as pretty as snow ! Im glad you reminded me, as I has forgotten about it. I always remember the great series Deanne did of her driveway garden. It would be fun if we all picked a spot to do this and then posted the photos in fall.

Need to eat some dinner and am sitting on the fence book vs movie. Nite all !

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I guess Im the only slug this morning.... hmmm, bad commentary on my lifestyle!

Candy -- that is a good story -- it reminds me of too many times I've stepped outside in front of my house to "catch" a shot of something in odd attire and trying not to be seen by folks - I often go out barefoot at odd times - and Im sure folks think it's weird for a woman to be photographing her front yard....passionate people in search of perfection, eh? That is indeed a lovely shot tho.

Kathy, that's a great idea of us to try to do a thread of 4 seasons in one area...... I'll try to remember to do it.

When I was home the other day I got a chance to surf some garden blogs and sites that I dont get to do much, and I came upon one woman's blog where she called herself "location scout for BHG" -- she scouts for gardens for them... how cool would that be and get paid? I suspect they dont pay much; but still what terrific fun - and to make a career of it.....

Congrats on the entree achievement, Kathy -- I love marsala and piccata dishes -- like you Im a terrible messy cook and turn my kitchen into disaster zones when I cook. It was a bit embarrassing at Christmas when I was doing the last minute things for the dinner and my guests were all lounging in my breakfast area that adjoins the open kitchen area. My DD even remarked what a mess I'd made and how she was glad to see she must have inherited the talent since she suffers the same woe. Sadly, however, the guests are almost OCD in their military neatness - I can't imagine there's ever a pot out of place in their kitchen.....But Im sure we're much more creative in our flinging and throwing dont you think?

Speaking of DD, she's in London for a little vacation w/ her DH -- a little self-gift for her graduation of grad school -- got her masters in library sciences and now she has to find a job in that area....they're staying in the area tho for the time being and Im very very happy about that.

It's warmish but cloudy here -- a neighboring house seems to be undergoing demolition today -- there are huge clangs going on as things are being flung from the upper story back into an empty trash truck -- I might have to flee the house for some quiet -- maybe I'll be forced to go shopping....I was really hoping to just rest, but the horrible noise is very annoying...There doesnt seem to be a spot in the house where one cannot hear it. Aaargh.

well, back to doing what I do well - slugging....

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Joining Cindy here as the lone voices this morning. The French Roast is on , and I have the cookbooks out to continue my one-new-recipe-a -week project for the winter. Undecided between Trim Tamale Pie, Roast Chicken with Butternut Squash and Red Potatoes, and Ham and Potato Lasagna. Might make some minestrone too, as we expect rain starting tomorrow and clear through next week.

LOL Cindy, Im sure there are numerous head ponderings by the neighbors when I am out in the front garden madly clicking the camera-though I have yet to contort myself in quite the way Candy described-getting up from those positions is not as easy as it used to be ! I am determined to improve my strength this year, I have one of those Gazelle gizmos in the garage-its actually a knock-off but I got it for 50 bucks. Its good to improve all over muscle tone. I will take my pic today of my four seasons spot. I think Ill do it once a month. Hoping Norma will select her pond as a series !

Ok, work to do, see yall later..plans are 2pm Saturday afternoon beer with the Idylls.

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago

Greetings and salutations from Cornfield Park. Slug mode here, too. Almost have to LOL looking at this list of recent events:

- 2am Saturday call from DSis -- Mom in ambulance on way to hospital with rapid heartbeat and severe, piercing chest pains. Cardiac history, yes. Cancer history, yes. She waited to call anyone until she thought DSil wasn't on ambulance duty, as my youngest DB can't be within a mile of him for various familial reasons. Turns out she has double pneumonia and had a CT scan this last Thursday to rule out anything more. Whew!!!

- Last hearing, this time legal rather than administrative, about DB's hospital closure. Decision has obviously been made and expert testimony was omitted on a technicality that would've proven the numbers very, very wrong. Scary prospects on that path.

- All work operations moved from Boston to MI. While I'm thrilled that lots of displaced auto workers now have jobs, they need to be reskilled and hits to my commission via mistakes made by new, learning folks has been frustrating.

You know I've had it when I use run on sentences :-)

Have really, truly enjoyed going through this Tydll, and had a few delightful mental moments coming up with botanically related names for 'Bugs new GC (grand child).

Glad to know that most DH's are on the upward swing.

Crying a lot for Haiti, a country who adopted me during my high school years. To see the mission where I lived burning on TV was a lot to bear. Constructive action being taken, though, and I encourage those who can to do the same.

So, there's nothing like reading "The Other Boleyn Girl", a gift from Ky, whose note read: "Sometimes there's nothing like the smut behind the history to get people excited about the past...." A different view, and I must say at some points I had tingles ;-)

To balance it out, read "How Starbucks Saved My Life" by Michael Gates Gill (in the discount section of Barnes and Noble), a MUST for all to put things in perspective sometimes. 3 hour read.

Boo doesn't think chickens in the backyard would be fair since he's an indoor cat, and we defer...but am I jealous of your basket, Mary!!

I'm right there with all of you re: catalogs. The pile gets taller every few days and when I have a few quiet (!?!?!?) hours that will be my indulgence. Economic recovery is happening in our little place, and I have a budget this year!!! WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

How about the first weekend of February for Logee's? Spread the word on FB, please. Meet at the McDonald's and caravan down? Saturday or Sunday? I'll be in touch with them so we can get some of the back room stuff available that day if anyone wants anything special.

Looking forward to a good storm enroute. We need the moisture desparately and I'm glad I didn't take all the dead stuff out of the gardens. Mulch will be critical to success. Plans are underway for "Plants On Wheels" week and it's really exciting to see the five-year dream become a reality.

Off to make mocha. Join Me and enjoy this from May 24 '09 to continue the pink theme arising here!! Who'da thunk?

{{gwi:147276}}

Martie

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Pink theme it is Martie.
    {{gwi:147277}}From Roses 2009

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Hi everyone

Some totally awseome news I've been dying to share with someone but don't want to sound boastful to friends here. David has been asked to play the Vivaldi Guitar Conerto with a local orchestra, and he is even getting paid to do so. He is thrilled to bits and I must admit to being just a little proud myself. The concert will be mid to late March and I will no doubt be all puffed up like one of my chickens! Wish you could come.

Tonight DH and I are venturing into new territory with a Euchre tournament at a friend's house. Neither of us have played before but we've just about figured all the rules and will have a fun if not victorious evening. winter eveings are great for playing games.

Last night we went to see the musical "Sweet Charity" where Annie was one of the stage crew. The High School kids did a great job but I really felt the choice was inappropriate for that age group. Seeing so many young girls dressed in revealing clothes, their characters drinking and smoking and gyrating suggestively somehow did not sit well. The main character is a taxi dancer in a dance hall but the story line was sadly lacking. In the interval DH asked me what they would be doing next - perhaps "Hair"? Fiddler on the Roof would have been a much more enjoyable choice!

Martie - great to hear from you - the peonies are the most beautiful I've seen. Keep the pink coming - its a real lift!

Kathy - we just received a late Christmas present from your neck of the woods - a Coup de Foudre 37.2 Cuvee Red Wine 2006. I think it is a definite step up from my $5-$10 reds!

Mary

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Mary - that's so exciting -- you have a perfect right to "boast" -- David is obviously very gifted, and it's such a pleasure to hear that others want to foster his talent. Congrats! Never played euchre - I dont think; altho it sounds familiar (i'll have to google it, LOL).

I was driven out of the house by the neighbor demolition -- Home Goods called -- they're just getting some spring garden stuff in - they had at least 3 amazing arbor/bench combinations - dont know where they get these things -- I wished I had an FB mobile camera to show them off. Not interested in for my own yard, but they'd be amazing somewhere... I keep wondering where I'm going to find surplus Smith & Hawken things surface - I miss them even if they were pricey; they had some unusual things... Im looking for some obelisks/tuteurs for some of the clems and it's a challenge (without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them)....

After HG browsing (no purchases, surprisingly) and other errands, Chloe and I went for a nice longish walk before it got cloudy again.....

Okay, there is never a shortage of pink in my gardens so here's at least one offering to the challenge:

{{gwi:147279}}

--Cindy

• chelone
    14 years ago

The pink theme is grand. But, since my computer is still in the guru's lab. nothing from me. I will call tomorrow; since I know there was a looming death on his plate when he called me with the update. Poor guy, I know how that feels and how unimportant all forms of work become at such a time. :(

I shall have to snoop out Vivaldi's Guitar Concerto now that I know an up and coming musician of note will be performing it! I would love to be there, Mary. I truly believe that music is tantamount to magic. And I'm esp. pleased that you've opted to "brag" to us. I tend to be rather devil-may-care about many things but I feel a level of age-appropriate decorum is important for teenagers. It's that whole Neo-Victorian thing, I'm afraid. Isn't it funny how when you're young you want nothing more than to be "grown up" but when you are you remember most fondly the innocence of your youth?

Marian, I laughed and laughed about the "tuberous begonias" in your amaryllis pan. Too funny. Sounds like something that would happen here. And Candy, your anecdote elicited audible guffaws, as well. I am well reminded how much I love our language and the wonderfully evocative images careful choice of words can provide.

One of the games I play whenever I undertake a baking project is to see how economic I can be with the utensils required... probably due in part to the fact that I'm the scullery maid, but also because I tend to think in terms of "time and motion" and economy thereof. I love marsala, too. Well... I basically love food. I'd have been a totala failure at either bulimia or anorexia.

I've wondered about the soft/clear food blog from recuperating Cyn. ...

We returned from the fabric collection caper this afternoon. Mary, mother of Jesus, what have I done?? You have NO idea how much fabric I unloaded this afternoon. I have NO idea what I'm going to do with it all, but my addictive personality just took over and I had to have it... ALL of it. I will try to snap a shot of the stageing area in the bahn. Yes, the very bahn that I'd pretty nearly cleaned out.

Martie, hang in there and I'm glad to learn you Mom is OK. One crisis at a time is plenty, is it not?

Michelle, I meant to tell you that the helpmeet had an awful bout of vertigo a few years ago following an extended session with the snowblower. He was nauseaus on and off for about 5 days (inconvenient) but he did recover fully. I feel bad for Rick and his inner ear "confection" (too funny!); I know how unpleasant it has to be for both of you. How are things at work these days? have you been completely abandonned in your hour of need? I think of you whenever the cable bill arrives ( ;) ) and have little doubt that you must be incredibly busy.

'bug, I kinda see the owl, but think the eyes need to be dark and a little bit farther apart for maximum effect. I should look through my button stash for dark "two-holers" for you.

Gotta go.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

A successful day here! The reclamation of the loft is nearly complete. The worst task was tackling the computer area. There was a rat's nest of cables and cords underneath and around the desk that was almost overwhelming. But I dove in this afternoon while DH was out of the house (so no one was grousing that the internet was down) and got the area re-organized. It looks much better, useless stuff has been eliminated and everything still works!

I have two things left to do up there. There's an entertainment center to finish re-puposing and then I would like to get a small writing desk to put in front of the window. In the meantime, there is a small shelf with plants in front of the windows. If we have a little sunshine tomorrow, I'll try to get a photo.

Yesterday was a zoo of a day at work, but DH rescued the day by taking me out for a lovely dinner. Guess I'll keep him for a few more days. :)

Mary, what lovely news about David!

I'm gonna break the rules and not post pink, but boy do these say "spring" to me.

{{gwi:147280}}

Enjoy the rest of the weekend! I have a chicken summit tomorrow, then a wine tasting to enjoy.

V>

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention that DD had a follow-up message from her school on the disclosure of personal information. The second message had a sincere apology, recognized that the first message had been inadequate, and told the students that the school was going to get some sort of credit monitoring service in place for them. They also went into more specifics about what had happened and what they are doing to prevent it from happening again.

Nice to know they are dong the right thing now, but I do wonder how many folks raised a ruckus before they changed course? It was a full week from the first email to the second.

V.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Well V, I wonder how many parents of affected students are lawyers. Anyway in the past we discovered that one has to threaten to get people to do the right thing. If only they would correct situations voluntarily.

I'm very happy to hear about David's concert Mary! I hope Annie is proud of her brother, but perhaps she is a bit jealous of his ease with music? Today Skyler had his first guitar lesson. They will focus on picking for him. His Daddy sat in on lessons and expects to continue this way with the secret objective of learning to play his banjo by osmosis. I think it may be a struggle for both, but as long as they enjoy it, great! We'll see.

Martie, I'm always saddened by decisions regarding your DB. I'm glad you keep us updated...I guess. :( Best wishes to your Mom! You've left me curious about botanically related names for LO (little One). Feel free to expand on this theme. Tonight DH announced that he hopes for a boy. When DD phoned she said she's like a boy, but a girl would work very well on their hockey team too. ;) I was very glad to hear that they feel somewhat ready for a boy even if this one is a girl.

Chelone, concerning the owl, the eyes are placed according to the spacing of the knit cable. I should have somewhat smaller buttons I think. I can fix it when I visit in March, perhaps putting eyes on three of the owls, if not all six. Oh! When I was in high school, my best friend had drawers and drawers of wool fabric that I was allowed to pick through. It seems they had a relative in the NYC garment district. I made many things in those days, among them gored skirts.

I'm visualizing V's new writing area. I'd love a photo!

OK, I'm on a search for PINK.

Here goes! Clematis Constance.
    {{gwi:147281}}

'bug (dreading Phoebe's upcoming hair butcher job)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Roasted Chicken with Butternut Squash and Potatoes won the recipe derby, and it is cooking as we speak..I missed my 2pm beer appt with the Idylls this afternoon, but I did get more roses pruned and wanted to pull weeds in a bad way, but with a week of rain coming I may as well wait a bit. I like to mulch after winter weeding, but we are told there is a possibility of 6 to 7 inches in this storm and would prefer not to see my mulch floating away.

Mary, what fabu news ! I know how happy it makes me that my DS enjoys playing music , and David seems to be in a place where a career may be possible for him. Kudos to you for providing the environment to nourish his talent. I would surely be cool if this concert were recorded for our viewing or listening pleasure ! I have pretty liberal views, but I agree with your assessment of the high school production. When DS was in HS there was a stink about one of the girls performing Out Tonight at their annual variety show;in the end she was allowed to do so..she had some serious talent too.

Chelone, I am envisioning those yards of fabric on any one of your outstanding collection of chairs..the discovery of which was such an unexpected pleasure for me when visiting the Compound.

Cindy, I read in one of the trade publication I get at the awfice that Target has acquired the Smith & Hawken brand ,..the brand is basically all that is left of the company , and we are probably going to see a bunch of stuff from China with the logo on it in spring. I doubt that Target will be carrying stainless steel English made border forks . I sure remember fondly my visit to the S&H store in Mill Valley back in the mid-80s and my DHs mystification with my level of excitement. I bought a vase there , which I cherish to this day. Love those lilies..do you know the name ? I planted some pink Asiatics last year and dug them all up this fall, the color was so anemic. I like yours much better.

Where is our bug today ?

Well, heck V, I can do yellow too..

Kathy in Napa {{gwi:147282}}From Garden 2009

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Hi folks, We are back in after dinner out with our two sons and their wives at a newly reopened resturant in town. The old one had burned down last year. It has been renamed "Bugsy's" and has a Bonnie and Clyde era decor. Nice to have a nice place to eat locally.

Our snow has all melted and the ground is really thawing. I walked with the dogs and had to be really careful of my footing in muddy areas. There was still ice on the creek crossing. I saw 12 deer cross the field as we came up out of the creek. The dogs didn't even offer to chase them.

Mary that is fabulous news for David. Before I even read what you wrote. I thought how neat it would be if we could all go hear him play.

So Cindy, Home Goods calls you when garden things come in? Sounds like you may be a regular there. LOL
    To bad about the noise disturbing your day off. Our grandaughter and DH moved into a house with neighbors that have been on their case about every little thing. So today when the neighbor dropped a tree on his house they had a gleeful moment.

Martie, so happy things are better economicaly for you. And really happy your moms ambulance ride wasn't more serious than it was.

V, I have that same rats nest of wires. I did get some of them eliminated. I'll be happy to see the day when all things become wireless.

Loving the pictures. I hope to remedy the problem soon that keeps me from posting pictures here.

Chelone, looking forward to seeing that stash of fabric. What a deal. I'm sure you will come up with good use for it. I'm seeing fabric covered chairs. New shorts or pants. Shirts for the helpmeet.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend or at least getting time in on projects . Norma

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Rick was feeling much better so we went out for dinner last night. The place we ate at had such an interesting wall, I wish I had had my camera. It was a 2-story wall and on it they had hung a bunch of old bicycles and a couple of tricycles with a quote from Albert Einstein. "Life is like riding a bicycle to keep your balance you have to keep moving"

Tomorrow is a big football game for the Minnesota Vikings. Since Iowa doesnt have their own team and we are so close to Minnesota, the Vikings are the team of choice for many. So we are having a combination birthday dinner and game watching party. I honestly really dont get into it.

V, the loft sounds like a great place to get away and write.

Chelone, I havent been abandoned but almost wish I was. Ive never worked with anyone so odd, unprofessional, rude and I could go on but you get the idea. Time will tell. The fabric haul sounds so interesting, be sure to post a picture of the loot.

Cindy, I love the look of obelisks and tuteurs. Nice sized ones are either hard to find or spendy thats why I made the copper one. It wasnt exactly cheap but I could make it a nice size. I hope you are feeling better. I know probably a dumb question, but do they have bathrooms on the metro? Hey, Im a country gal. Congratulations to your DD and Im glad for you that they are staying in the area.

Kathy, what was the variegated sedum that Sue had? I love sedums. They are so easy to grow, drought tolerant and hardy (at least most) I am wintering 2 tender sedums under lights. I probably have close to 20 different varieties.

Mary, what a fabulous accomplishment for David. You all must be thrilled.

Martie, Ive been wanting a pink tree peony yours is lovely.

Candy, I have a branch loppers that works well for cutting down castor beans.

bug, Constance is so pretty!

A little pink from me.

{{gwi:147283}}

Good night all
    Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Michelle, here is pic of Sues sedum..does have a pink blush here and there so we are in keeping ! I don't remember the name , but I can post it on FB if none of you know and ask Sue to identify. The plant has Purple Emperor sized leaves..
    {{gwi:147284}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In my search for a pink picture, I found this one...a mystery. I really want this plant for it's leaves! I have a couple of other mysteries if you get this one :)

{{gwi:147285}}

Mary, I am so happy for David, as well as you! Being a parent is tough a lot of the times, so it's good to be proud when good stuff happens :) How wonderful for him to be so focused. It goes to show that the money follows what you're good at...sure you can make money doing lots of things, but when you really love something, people will compensate you for it!

I wonder about Annie all the time now, because Jake is beginning the early stages of driving and I wonder if she is, too. Jake is learning on my standard. I am turning out to be a good teacher, if I do say so myself. I just try not to look :)

Michelle, maybe your co worker will soften up/lighten up eventually? I never get the people with the prickly exteriors. Sedums are great! I need more :)

Norma, it sounds nice to have dinner with both sons and significant others...bet that doens't happen very often...at least it doesn't here :)

We will need a picture of the haul, Chelone. I liked the movie "The Other Boelyn Girl" but then I watched it quickly and moved on, much like a paperback. I really like movies as a medium right now...quick easy story and it's over...maybe its the time in my life.

Nick and I are planning a last minute scuba getaway. Funny, we've never gotten our passports. I was going to do it last year and never got around to it. We went yesterday and it was a no go. Wrong birth certs...even though they have the raised seal. I had to order new copies. What a pain.

When I get my passport, you'd better watch out....I've got a lot of traveling pent up inside me :) It's been too long and I really want to go somewhere good.

There is an informational gathering about peace corps next month. I think I will go :)

Candy, it's usually the mailman who catches me doing the oddest thing! You've gotta get the shot, though, right?

Have a great Sunday morning, friends!

Saucy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Saucy, I think your plant is Rodgersia.
    I don't have time to post more....talk to you all later.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Not Rodgersia. They look like chestnut leaves.
    A form of gunnera? Petasites?

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Saucy, I agree you should go to the PC information gathering. I am not aware of how the PC operates very well since 1966! But I would like to add that there was great caution about health with removal of all molars whether they needed removal or not, experimental inoculations with explanations only afterwards, etc. I somewhat understand this, and expect you do too from your navy experiences, BUT...!!!!Also they were big on psychological evaluations and causing grief by trying to remove quite competent people from the program. (DH was one of those!)

Also there was much treating us like children, surprise checkups, holiday and travel restrictions, etc. Personally I would rather do the work I dream of independently of an organization. I'd prefer to teach abroad, or work on bridge development, or whatever without the mothering.

Certainly there are advantages too: quick evacuation, housing, sometimes doctors and vehicles. Money is NOT one of the advantages, though at the time (age 23) there was little to spend on. As an older person with children (they don't accept these kind of folks I believe unless the children are beyond school age) I'd be more concerned about income and so on.

Just some of my morning thoughts.
    Photos:
    Saucy, this should remind you of photos you posted earlier. These are decorative tombstones in the Efik area of Eastern Nigeria. The faces and hands are painted pink or white oddly enough.
    {{gwi:147286}}

Here are photos of the children of DH's school principal, Mr Nsofor. This is sports Day, 1965.
    {{gwi:147287}}

DH played guitar with the Tex Dandies in town on a number of occasions. The child, Okereke, skillfully danced along in front. The tall man to the left was a PC man as well, and he was well loved by PC volunteers as well as locals.
    {{gwi:147288}}

And here is yours truly with (now) DH November 7th, 1966 at our send-off party. (We were married in '68)The man to the right is DH's friend from Cornell University who taught at the same school. The Nigerian lady is Cecelia Ahaonu, also a teacher at the school.
    {{gwi:147289}}

Ndeewo (Greetings/Thank you/Goodbye in Igbo)

• saucydog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It was in a plant collector's garden, so it might be tough.

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

What a wonderful glimpse into life in the PC in Nigeria. I'd love to see more sometime.

GB - I think you summed it up perfectly with Annie feeling a combination of pride tinged with jealosy. However, she never lets any resentment show to David for which I admire her greatly. There have been times when Annie has asked why things are so easy for David yet so hard for her. But it never stops her trying and through dogged hard work she has achieved profiency on the violin, good grades at school and placement in advanced classes. All from a beginning with huge develpmental delays and so much extra help and support in the early years of school we had no idea what we could expect.

Fortunately Annie has areas that are hers alone to shine. She is a talented artist, an imaginative writer and has a quirky creativity I hope she can find an outlet for in whatever she chooses to do.

Saucy - Annie's driving has come to a halt with weeks of icey road conditions that none of us felt comfortable having her drive in. She has decided (quite prudently) to wait till her 17th birthday to take her road test as she can then get a full license. She is a competant, careful driver but still a little nervous. Parallel parking has yet to be mastered but she is comfortable with the stick shift and hardly ever stalls (those first outings were tough) So far I have been the one to take her out (DH is gone so much, and truth be told, is less relaxed with a learner), and we usually enjoy ourselves.

Chelone - What a fantastic haul! I've been eying a pattern for a wool cape and thought I might make myself something for the first time in years.

Time to see what the family is up to. we all slept in this morning and are having a lzay start to the day.

Mary

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I still think maybe petasites, perhaps Petasites frigidus or Petasites palmatus?

Oh, but then I have another idea! Mukdenia! Take a look below. The leaves are much smaller than a petasites, but gorgeous.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Trying again. *%#@!*~ computer!

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Well, I was going to say good morning, but it looks like it's gotten to be afternoon. I have a free day today and plan on spending some time catching up here on Idylls. I love to read and write but sometimes life gets in the way of that. Just wanted to jump in for the moment and say I agree with Marie, mukdenia popped into my mind. I have one called 'Karasuba'. It starts out green and turns pinker/redder as the season progresses. Reminds me of a heuchera somewhat.

I have to go help Brad assemble some shelves. He's calling. I'll be back...

Eden

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm