SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustiksandkandles

gardening question

rustiksandkandles
18 years ago

We have been gardening in the same spot for years and buying plants and seed from catalogs and gardening centers. We have never used chemicals of any kind on any of our plants for at least 5 years. We water from either rain or well and fertilize from the compost. We sell our herbs and things at local markets and places. We are now interested in oraganic gardening and learning more about it, mainly for health reasons. Question - even though we use no chemicals or anything, but the plants and seeds we buy are not Certified Organic, this season will be our first for purchasing everything organic. How long do we have to wait until we can claim organic to our buyers? I always heard that soil has to be chemical free for so many years before it can be considered organic. Even though we don't treat our plants and seeds we have been sticking in the ground I'm sure have been treated with something from the gardening centers. I would also say our compost is mainly, but not 100% organic because some of the onion skins and things like that have come from a regular grocery store. Any tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (3)