SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluemchaen

mystery Scottish plant

bluemchaen
16 years ago

Sorry folks, I am not a gardener, I do not have a picture of the plant in question and I would like to know its name. Here is my description.

It is a native shrub of the Scottish Highlands growing to a hight of at least 3 metres (that's how tall it was in our previous garden).

It is an evergreen.

Its stem has smooth dark/silvery gray bark (the colour and texture is similar to a beech tree's stem).

It has small dark green leaves, each leave is about 2 centimetres long, the surface is shiny and smooth (without any visible lines), leaves grow in an alternate order from each branch (I mean: not pairwise - not sure whether this is the correct botanical term).

In the northern hemisphere the plant flowers in late winter, early spring (around February - about the same time as gorse). The flowers are small, about 2 to 3 cm in diameter, with 5 petals, dark purple, almost black.

This shrub appears to be very hardy - friends had it planted in the windiest place in their garden - which it seemed to love.

However, the most conspicuous feature of this shrub is its smell: very strong, somewhere between wild rose and jasmin - one of the most beautiful fragrances I ever found in a flower. However, as long as there is daylight, the flowers do not smell at all, they only smell at night.

Please, please help. I have tried books, garden centres, etc.

B.

Comments (5)