SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tszyman

Something is killing my lawn

tszyman
11 years ago

Hi, and thanks for reading my post. I'm not a lawn fanatic, but I do like to have a decent looking lawn and know my neighbors appreciate that as well. Generally my lawn is fine: I treat for dandelions in the spring and fall, fertilize in the fall, and that's about it for lawn care.

I've noticed over the last year or so that we have an increasing number of LARGE ant hills--probably 8-10" in diameter in our lawn. Sometimes they're raised, under green grass, and sometimes they're sunken, in the midst of brown or dead grass. I researched it a bit last year and decided not to take any action. I have kids and pets and don't want to use insecticides or pesticides if it isn't necessary.

However, there are now dead spots spreading like wild fire across our lawn! The lawn in the photo you see was completely green and healthy last year, but now these brown patches have been spreading--including onto my neighbor's lawn. And this is happening on many parts of my lawn. The grass appears brown and flattened in those areas, and sometimes there is very little grass and mostly dry dirt.

I don't need a "perfect" lawn, but I want one that will stay alive. I am willing to use pesticide, insecticides, etc., if necessary. Primarily, I want to identify the problem and get it under control.

Thanks for any tips, advice, or recommendations you can give!

Comments (5)