SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youth4him

Help me Fix My Lawn

youth4him
14 years ago

I'm trying to determine the source of my lawn problem. I hate my grass. I'll summarize, and details below:

I currently have a kentucky bluegrass (not sure what type) lawn. I'm thinking that perhaps as the temps rise, the culitvar I have it just not heat tolerant, so it goes dormant, and the weeds go crazy.

I water 1.5in a week or so, 3x a week per zone (14 lawn zones), so water isn't the issue. Things don't improve when we have good rain.

The main reason I'm wondering about heat is that the areas the grass thrives are those that get 1/2 day of shade, especially in the front near the house, which is in the full shade from about 3pm on.

Pics (the grass closest to you is next to the house, and you can see the area that is full sun, brown and unhealthy.

{{gwi:87482}}

{{gwi:112377}}

HELP! Should I overseed with different grass (my neighbor has some grass that's a bigger leaf and looks amazing..) Or, do something else?

Details:

We live in high altitude (4600+ feet) and have a cold climate, in general, but not really much of a Spring or Fall. We get really cold winters, with a couple of sub minus 30 weeks usually.

Our summers start off cool, but by late July and through August, high 80's up to high 90's aren't uncommon with lows between 45-55 average.

Soil is high clay content.

I seed planted this lawn about 4 years ago, and fertilize 2x each summer and 1x pre-winter. I use weed-b-gone spray for spot treating weeds, although now it's a big issue, so more spots. Our biggest weed issues is thislte and anothe prevacious weed (can't remember the name.)

Comments (9)