SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daemon2525

Mail order nurseries

daemon2525
12 years ago

I know that this has been beat to death but I cannot believe how bad some of the Mail order nurseries are.

I am trying to start a small orchard and am looking on the internet for hours at a time. It seems that the quality of mail order stuff can be a problem. I am not going to start with any names because it seems that you folks already know, but I e-mailed a couple of places and was disappointed.

I found a site that had exactly what I wanted but they did not even say what kind of rootstock that any of their trees were.

So I e-mailed and asked!! I asked about rootstock and availability etc, and got an e-mail back that said "We use M1-11". Thats all it said....

So I replied to the message and asked if they still ship this fall, if they had any of several varities, if they really had only one rootstock for every variety that they sell, and if they really meant M111 intead of M1-11. I got an email back that said "yes". That's it!! one word... LOL!

Well I guess that technically they answered my questions assuming that all three questions could be answered with a yes.

I was kinda waiting on "Thank you for inquiring about our trees. We have the varieties that you are looking for and we do ship from xxx to xxx . Our trees are this and that and would be glad to help you. , etc, etc..

I got "yes"

So I do have a couple of options. There is one and only one mail order nursery on my list that I trust. So far.

My second option is the local nursery that does not specialize in fruit tree but did have a few.

They have beautiful trees but they only had 6 trees (2 each of 3 different kinds), and I have already bought 2 of them. So now they only have 4 trees. If they did not sell any. (this place sells hardwood trees, pines,etc, 1000's of them) They are great if anyone needs to know about them.

Sorry about not really asking a question in this post, but I just needed to rant.

If anyone can tell me about a really "SOLID" nursery that I will not be disappointed in that would be OK.

I am only looking for another 3 or 4 trees, but I would like them to be pretty big trees that might get fruit off of before I die.

thanks

Larry

Comments (11)