SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fish_4_all

Compacted sand soil, need help fixing for lawn

fish_4_all
10 years ago

I have been doing some searching on Google and everywhere else and I have come to a point I simply need expert advice after 3 months of trying to get everything I need to at least understand most things that could be done.

My soil is 95%-99% sand from all the jar tests I have done. 3 inches of sand in 2 minutes, 2 hours gives 1/16 to 1/8 inch of loam and very little clay settling out in the next 6-10 hours when water has gone clear. I have done numerous tests from surface to 18 inches down with the same results. The further down I go the larger the rocks get. Organic matter is descent and I leave my clipping from a rotary manual mower when I mow most of the time. Thatch is minimal if there is a layer at all.

My grass "grows" in places and in others it is bare ground. Drainage is horrible, I know, opposite of what sand should be but it is. A hole filled with water for a second time took more than 12 hours to drain. Water that pools on the surface without prior watering takes 4-5 hours to drain. The surface is rock hard and that is before I reach the level with the rocks in it which is only 2-3 inches down. Water puddles on the surface in any low spots summer or winter.

I know the soil is acidic here, last test I did had it at about 8.5.

I don't want to til and I won't unless I have to. I have read about the shampoo method but I am reluctant to try it but leaning toward giving it a shot.

I have started a couple patches of grass where I dug a hole and did a couple different methods to start the grass seed. All have done well but doing the entire yard this way would be a lot more work than I am ready for. I can and will do it if there is no other solution but I prefer not to tear up my yard with the amount of rain we get every winter. I suspect that most of my work would be ruined by December if I really did a lot of tilling and amending.

So the question is: How do I fix my soil so that the soil better supports grass without tilling the whole thing? I am leaning toward plug aeration, compost, course sand, coconut coir and peat to slowly fix the lawn over the next 2-4 years. All of this will be added on top of the soil after aeration and allowed to fill in the plugged holes. Am I on the right track? Maybe leave out the sand or will sharp sand help fix my problem?

Should I seed at the same time with Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass? The seed mixes I have used so far have a total of 7 different Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass. I figure the more variety the better.

I know the best time to seed and do everything is fall when the rains come but the soil is soo bad I want to get a head start on amending so everything doesn't wash away when the rains come and don't end for 5 months.

Comments (8)