SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
easychair_gw

Really Need A New Plan of Attack for Fall Seeding

easychair
12 years ago

I seeded with Pennington tall fescue in June after my sprinkler system installation and after tilling in lime as the soil test suggested. I used Lesco starter and then began reading about organic lawn care. Grass grew, but weeds took over. Now it's mostly weeds.

Since then, I've been trying to do everything organically, but I'm exhausted trying to find realistic ways to organically grow a thick all-grass turf on this awful weed-ridden ground.

At this point, I'm willing to postpone the organic purist approach and use whatever will make fall seeding easiest for me to establish thick dense turf without weeds. So, what are my options?

My yard is 7,000 sq. ft., 2,000 of which is the newly seeded and weed-infested area. The rest of the lawn is okay but not great and I want to overseed that along with whatever type of seeding I'll be doing in the fall on the bad area.

I also wish to know which seed mixtures to consider that grow best in zone 6b. I'll do what I can now and in the future to work on amending soil problems which include some compaction and clay. But I understand that takes years, so I realize the soil won't be perfect this time around.

This is my understanding of choosing seed for my lawn. Tell me if I'm wrong:

-I have about 3,000 ft. of shady areas, where I assume fine fescue should be dominant.

-About 2,000 ft. of partially shady areas, where I assume tall fescue should be dominant.

-Another 2,000 ft. of sunny areas where I assume tall fescue and bluegrass should be mixed.

I can't tell if perennial rye looks or feels good, so I don't know if it should be in the mix anywhere. Like I assume most people do, I like dark green finely textured grass.

On top of the weed problem, I have a lot of weeds going to seed right now.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Comments (18)