SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladydarcie

Lawn-boy seal or exhaust gasket

ladydarcie
16 years ago

I bought a used S21ZSM from the original owner. Unit was not very well maintained as I found several loose / missing bolts. The mower starts and runs well.

Cleaned up the deck, regreased the rear wheels and touched up the paint.

Well I removed muffler and cleaned out carbon from ports. The center port was completely blocked and one of the mounting bolts was sitting in the muffler. Piston looked okay.

Put everything back together, installing a new blade and flange.

Starts and runs well. I notice it is throwing some droplets of oil on to the deck. This apperas to only happen as the engine starts. In other words once the engine is running, I can wipe the droplets off the deck and they do not return while engine is running.

Once I restart it, the droplets return.

What do you think? Lower seal or perhaps a leaky exhaust gasket? I made absolutley sure the muffler edges were clean and seated into the grove around the bottom of the deck.

I have a few days where I can devote some time to fixing it and I'd appreciate any ideas.

If I replace the lower seal, should I replace the drive belt too? I expect the pulley on the bottom of the crankshaft will be difficult to remove. Any ideas here?

Thanks for your help.

Darcie

Comments (3)