SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

overseed, or tear out and start over?

joeschmoe80
11 years ago

I bought my home this past spring (March).

It has over an acre of land, and is in Central Ohio near Columbus (for purposes of anonymity, I won't get any more specific).

The turf appears to be tall fescue, and my neighbor says that's what it looks like to him as well (he also has turf-type TF in his yard) - I'm new to TTTF as my previous home was KBG. The lawn was planted last summer by the builder (it was new construction but sat empty through the winter due to the builder going bankrupt), but appears to have not been taken care of, despite there being an inground sprinkler system. I've been irrigating this year, thankfully, but the heat is taking it's toll - we've been in the 90s 20 days or more and over 100 a couple times already this summer. I am doing infrequent, deep waterings (I put about an inch in a single cycle once a week if it hasn't rained) and some parts look good, but I have large bare patches in the front (where it gets sun all day) with a lot of weeds. I have fertilized organically twice (April and June) this year with blood meal and a storebought organic fertilizer. I'm not opposed to chemicals but prefer to stay organic if possible.

I'm trying to determine if I should just overseed, or replant the whole thing, at least in the front - the back, which has shade for about 40% of the day for most of it, looks a bit better, there are a few bare spots but not many weeds and the bare patches are smaller. I don't see any signs of it being a pest problem like grubs or fungi.

The soil appears to be well drained and is darkish in color, and doesn't appear compacted to any major degree.

Should I:

-core aerate and overseed in late Aug/Early Sept

-rip the whole thing out and reseed or re-sod

-rip the front out but overseed the back

I'll probably stay with the tall fescue since it looks good in the areas it's healthy, and I like the lower maintenance aspect. I'm looking for a green lawn that has few weeds, but I don't need a golf course!

Comments (6)