SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llo0dqle

Need help looking for good electric reel lawn mower.

llo0dqle
10 years ago

Hello, I have been searching for a good electric reel mower but can't seem to find one that meets all my criteria. Was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction.

The ideal specs would be: (in order of importance)

1. Electric (most important, obviously) - I have a manual reel but my lawn is small with trees and shrubs and other garden features and i can't get enough momentum to make the reel spin as fast as I would like to. I have to push back and forth a few times for certain sections and make about 2-3 passes at least for the grass to look cleanly cut. I'm hoping with an electric reel mower I can shave some time off my total lawn cutting time. I have to mow before I go to work due to my schedule so any time savings is beneficial.

2. Adjustable height from 0.5 - 4 inches - AFAIK, currently the only reel mower with this feature (1-4") is Fiskars but it is manual. I could live with 0.5"/1" - 3 inches. Mainly, I would need an ultra low setting, 0.5- 1 inch for when I prep before overseeding and an intermediate height for regular mowing - around 2.5 - 3". A 4 inch option would be nice in case I neglect the lawn on rare occasions.

3. The wider the cutting width, the better. Ideally 20". The one I currently have is 14" so anything bigger is better. (That's what she said)

4. Grass catcher - they usually apparently don't work that well for reel mowers but it's a nice option to have for the times that I want to collect clippings, i.e. when overseeding.

5. Battery operated, ideally Lithium Ion.

6. The lighter the better. But not a big deal. I have a mix of PRG, Red Fescue and KBG so I don't need a heavy reel mower, esp since it's gonna be electric.

Comments (4)