SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1111gd1111

Best way to topdress a lawn?

Looking for suggestions....as typical of many folks I don't have an unlimited budget. :)

Have 64,000 sq. ft. (measured it) of actual lawn that is approx. 4 yrs old (we have been here 1 year). The house was built in an old hayfield and the base soil is pretty much beach sand. It appears that the original owner (who had it built for him) of the house had much of the topsoil scraped in some areas so that it could be used closer to the house. Where the septic system was installed it looks like little if any topsoil was replaced after it was installed.

If I had an unlimited budget I'd start over on the whole lawn...but I don't. The quality of the KBG/fescue in the front of the home as actually responding well to the TLC I've been giving it. The grass in the back looks like it's mainly some type of thick bladed fescue and is not filling in like the front is.

So my thought is to topdress the entire lawn (now?) then overseed using a verticutter (if I can find one up here) in late August. So my questions are:

1. How thick should I topdress? 1/2"? 1"?
2. What material should I topdress with? topsoil?
3. What's the most efficient way to spread it? I have a big Agri Fab spreader but I "think" it might take me forever to spread the material.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Comments (31)