SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyeguy_gw

1/3 acre Mower Suggestions

buckeyeguy
16 years ago

Hi all. New to the site have a question. At the beginning of last mowing season, I baught a John Deere JS40 walk-behind. I went with the JD because my dad and all of his friends have had their JD riders for years without any problems. This particular machine has a 21" blade and a 6.74HP B&S. This was my first house so I wanted to buy a mower that would last.

After giving it a year and a half, I have to say I really don't care for this particular mower. It seems to leave strips of uncut grass in the wheel path. I have to overlap the next pass by a good 3-4" to ensure that I get everything cut. The rear plastic wheels make a squeeking sound in which JD could not fix (took it in before the warranty was up). Just last week I have noticed that the self-propelled gearing is starting to slip. The self-propelled part is not a huge deal to me, but when you pay $400 for a push mower, I expect it to work.

I work 45+hrs per week and at the beginning of this summer I started graduate school. My lot is a little over 1/3 acre and it takes me (don't laugh) 1hr 15-20min to mow. Since my time is limited, I would rather not spend my days off mowing. I also don't want to pay someone $20 a week to mow it for me.

I have discussed getting a new mower with my wife with concern about cutting my mowing time down. We thought a riding tractor would be ideal because we could get a wider deck to save time and possibly a snow plow to eliminate buying a snow blower. Although it seems to have a couple of benefits, I think it might be a little too hard to manuver around my place and more $$$. A zero-turn sounded more ideal, but I didn't want to spend $2800. I noticed that CubCadet makes a 33" wide walk-behind that is a little pricy but do-able. I also noticed that Craftsman makes a similar, if not the same mower with different paint for $999. My theory about the 33" is that its 1/3 larger than my current mower, so I would be able to cut 1/3 time off of the job.

With you guy's and gal's experience will buying a 33" walk-behind save a significant ammount of time? Which is the better mower, or is there a better one than the two mentioned? Are there any other options out there I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Comments (8)