SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

With the cost of gas is it time to go Electric?

sunslight
15 years ago

The price of gasoline in my area just hit $4/gal. Ir takes about 4 gals to mow my yard. Mowing 3x/wk=12gals=$48/wk. That makes it about $200/mo or $600/mowing season, in fuel cost. Even if I cut my mowing back by 1/2, that's still about $300/season.

I'm at 4,900 ft. altitude. No matter what the gas mower's HP rating, it takes a significant power hit because of the altitude.

Ideally, it'd be nice to have an electric, which has as much power as the gasoline. Since my gas mower looses Hp at my altitude, would an electric have about the same torque?

I don't know the price of a good electric mower, or if there is such a thing, but it seems that with gasoline costing a little less than $600 to mow the yard for the season, if gas stays at this price, it might be more economical to go electric?

I will have to buy a 100' hvy duty extension cord, & don't know what the electric bill will be, but it hardly seems those cost will match that of gas and oil.

We now have hybrid cars. How about an electric mower, that runs off a solar powered, rechargeable battery?

Oh, I should mention the type of mowing my mower is called to do: the front yard is turf grass. The backyard is lots of thick stalked weeds as well as tall grasses. The weeds grow quickly. It's rained here for the past three days (very unusual for us & the weeds shot up to nearly two feet high). My power mower has problems with that, but it does manage to cut it (pun intended) if I take it slowly.

What do you think? Get a new gasoline or electric mower?

Comments (23)