SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdtompki

Lawn mower choice

rdtompki
17 years ago

I've got three distinct lawn moving opportunities and I'm looking for a single machine that "works" for all three. The first is a conventional 1500 sq. ft. back yard divided into three small pieces. This would be a no-brainer for a push mower (have an old 19" Al deck Honda I'm using now) if it were not for the other two areas. Second mowing job is 5000 sq. ft. of outer lawn, but with quite a bit of clover. If I let it grow more than an additonal 1" or so my Cub Cadet 3184 riding mower can't handle this (useless piece of equipment for all but manicured lawns). Finally, I've got an acre of horse turn-out that I would like to cut and bag to help control weeds. This is on a slight slope. Again, my trusty 3184 requires at least one pass without bagging and an additional pass with bagging. Sometimes I have to cut it with my larger tractor first. A good residential lawn mower would probably wade through this, but it's not the job these machines are designed for.

I'm looking at the HRX217HXA Honda and, perhaps, one of the higher end Toros. I'm a bit leary of Personal Pace and Honda's newest thumb-controlled variable speed system since the turn-outs are a bit bumpy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not in a minority having more trouble making a lawn mower decision than I had buying a 1-ton truck.

Comments (7)