SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pintopkp

Kohler K161 runs slow

pintopkp
13 years ago

Hello. Havn't posted in a while, but I'm having a problem I just can't figure out. I'm sorry I'm posting this in the lawnmower forum, but everyone here is so knowledgeable. I recently bought a leaf blower that had no spark. I replaced the points (set at .20 as per the service manual) and condenser and now I have a nice, hot, blue spark. I also cleaned out the gas tank (metal, but really very little rust) and put fresh gas in. Carburetor was rebuilt and cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.

My problem is, that when I start it, it will only start with the choke off. With the choke off, it starts easy enough, but will only run at a rough idle no matter where I set the throttle and no matter what I do with the high speed and idle needles (they were initially set at the service manual recommendations). No amount of tinkering with the high speed or throttle settings makes it run differently (except for screwing the high speed needle in all the way kills the engine, of course). My points are cleaned and gapped, my condenser is new, I'm using brand new gas (and even used some other gas that runs fine in my mower), and I tore the carb apart again to double check to make sure it's clean. Still no luck.

The fact that the choke has to be wide open leads me to believe it;s getting too much fuel, but I don't understand how that could be. I thought maybe the high speed circuit was plugged forcing it to run through the idle circuit in the carb, but the high speed circuit is crystal clean. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)