SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chilifanatic

Trouble starting Honda GCV 160

chilifanatic
13 years ago

My Mom's house and property is a bit dirty so I thought I would lend her a hand and pressure wash it for her.

They have a Troy-Bilt washer with a Honda GCV 160 engine.

My problem is that the engine will not stay running for more then about 2 seconds.

The washer is about 2 years old but can't have more then 2 hours on it. She told me it has not been ran in over a year.

This is what I have done:

Changed the oil, it was full and not too dirty but what the heck we have plenty of free oil washing up on the shore.

Checked the air filter. It looked brand new.

There was a bit of gas sitting in the tank so I drained it. I removed the hose from the valve knob side, drained the old gas and ran some new gas through. I would have liked to have drained it on the other side of the carb but I cannot break the bolt loose with my cruddy screwdriver style socket wrench and don't have the right attachments for my regular socket wrench.

All the knobs are in the ON position, choke pin is pulled out, 3/4 full of fresh gas.

I pull the rip cord and it has very little resistance and cranks right up and the engine dies just as fast as it started (maybe 1-2 seconds).

After that the rip cord has significantly more resistance. Once I've gotten a nice arm/shoulder workout and losing a pound due to water loss, I let is sit for a few minutes and the resistance is gone and it fires right up again and right back down.

I also tried holding the wand lever down while starting and that does nothing.

It's starting to get frustrating, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chilifanatic

Comment (1)