SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourhappyhome1

Strawberries. Can Somebody Pleeeze Explain!

16 years ago

Okay, this is my last hope. I've read so many different webpages and posts, I'm more confused now than when I started. I'd like to order strawberries this fall for fresh eating this spring. Don't know if this is possible. My online source has bareroot plants for sale which are available for purchase now. I'm planning to purchase 50 plants to plant in a raised bed and along the border of my patio. I'm in Georgia, zone 7/7b. Here's where I need help:

1. When to order online? Is now a good time to order bareroot plants?

2. Which to order. I'd like to try Sweet Charlie b/c UGA says its good for our area or maybe Earliglow.

3. When to plant? Some say Spring, some say Fall. I'd like to order and plant them now, even if I have to provide winter protection. Temps occasionally fall below freezing here.

4. Junebearing/Everbearing. I've got this part figured out, but Sweet Charlie is called a Fall berry. What exactly does that mean?

5. I don't want to wait a year for small plants to produce. What type should I buy to ensure a harvest in 08? Doesn't matter if its May, June or everbearing, etc.

I will greatly appreciate ANY advice. Thanks loads!

April

Comments (12)