SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pabearman

Lawn Boy starting issues

PAbearman
10 years ago

Hi There!

I have a Lawn Boy 2310 Self-propelled mower I bought off Craigslist. It ran good when I went to check it out but the self-propel control cable was broken but figured that was an easy fix so I got it for $80.

I got it home and mowed the front and back lawns just fine even with the wet grass. Then I did something stupid....

When I went to replace the broken drive cable I tipped the mower forward...(cue the laughs). After failing to start it I realized I must have flooded the engine with oil so I took the plug and oil soaked filter out and replaced them. Still no luck. I pulled the starter cord multiple times with the plug out to "flush" out any oil in the cylinder. Still no luck. I sprayed a ton of starter fluid in there...nothing.

So I thought it wasn't getting a spark. there's just no way that much starter fluid wouldn't at least catch the grass on fire!

Then I saw the ground wire...or whatever green wire runs around the bottom of the engine. There was a push connector there so I just pulled it apart. One pull and it fired right up! If I connect the wire it won't start. Disconnected starts and runs like a dream. When I let go of the top bar it stops right away and the engine is killed.

Now after all that my question is what is the consequence of running the mower without a connected ground cable? Thanks for bearing with me through that!

Comments (5)