SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbguy420

What type of grass for shade (in bermuda-centipede)and a few more

pbguy420
9 years ago

Hey all, I've done a ton of research and recently overseeded my sad centipede lawn with bermuda and I am very happy. The goal is to overseed with bermuda again and hopefully eventually have the centipede get crowded out. I chose to over seed because I did not have the time to fully tear up the old lawn and redo it all. It has turned out well even tho I started a bit late in the year....
Lawn is high traffic (dogs that play all day) and mostly full sun, and I'm in coastal nc.

I do have a few questions before I overseed the last section...

1- areas around my back porch are in the shade about 1/2 to 2/3 of the day... If I am going for a fine, low cut grass to complement the bermuda what should I use in this area? Or will bermuda be ok with that much shade?

2 - since I started late, I didn't have time to use a pre emergent and still overseed. Because of this, I had quite a bit of weeds growing in the areas I already overseeded and have been hand pulling to control but I've got 12,000 sq feet of lawn and it gets to be a pain. Is there anything I can use when I overseed this last area to avoid the weeds without negatively affecting germination.

3 - I have a drainage ditch in the front yard that has poor drainage, the soil is soft and black but always spongy and nothing but weeds and small amounts of grass ever grow there.... Is there any type of grass that looks good with bermuda that will grow here or do I have to look at other options? Some people have put down river rock in their ditches in my area, but my wife isn't a fan of the look...

4- what is this weed? It is my primary weed problem and I thought it was crab grass but after looking at weed charts i don't think it is...

Comments (13)