SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdauberz5mo

Maple tree seedlings and 2nd mowing

dirtdauberz5mo
15 years ago

First off, I'd like to say thanks to everyone here for such good info and being willing to share it. Because of this, I was able to lurk and search and completely refurbish my weed filled front yard, even down to training resident border collie to 'go' somewhere else. (smart animal, took ten minutes) Now though, I've come up on something I don't see much of in searching and lurking. We went with a tttf mix, waiting until it seemed like forever to mow it, (which really stressed the patience level of my husband). So now we are getting close to the time of a second mowing, but there are a few issues.

1. I haven't been able to find an organic fertilizer around here, KC area, so no fert has been put down since starter.

2. One weed after seeding, the maple tree on the parkway threw all it's little helicopters, so now, I have a bazillion maple trees coming up.

3. It's been raining every night for the last week and a half, as if I were watering exactly like you shouldn't.

4. The mailman was very nice about not walking on the straw and new grass, but as soon as we mowed the first time, he went back to his regular path, and yes, he's beating a path.

5. My back started giving out during the first mow, meaning husband had to take over. He did exactly what I asked him NOT to do, yanking and digging in with the mower, using the power-propel (spinning it into the turns) and going back and forth over spots. (He was very nice about sharpening the blade)

At any rate, those of you who know so much can easily imagine what is going on now, a front yard that looks ever so much better than it did, but is just a few french fries short of being a full Happy Meal. I've worked so hard to get this far, if there are suggestions, I'll be happy to listen and learn more....

~~Melinda

Comment (1)