SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breaddrink

Craftman mower oil flood craziness.

breaddrink
14 years ago

Urgh...So I have a...Must be 4 years old, ez walk as you go craftman mower.

It's the 6.5 briggs and stratton engine.

Soo...I tried powering the mower up this year only to find that it was lacking power.

Much tinkering and fun and eventually it turned out to be nothing more than a dirty air filter.

More oddities from the mower brought me to the conclusion that I really should change the plug and the oil, and so I did so.

I sharpened and balanced the blade while I was at it.

When I tipped the mower over to remove the old oil absolutely nothing came out...After 10 minutes or so I thought that it must simply have run dry and perhaps this was the power issue...

I put in 18 ounces of the recommended oil (it's meant to hold 20 according to the manual).

Started the mower up again and oil was literally pouring out of the air filter housing...And not the nice clean oil I'd just put in either, but some really gross jet black nasty stuff.

I flipped the mower over again to drain it and a TON of oil came pouring out of the very top of the motor housing. The same truly nasty thick black gunk, making me wonder if it was perhaps blocked from pouring out of the oil tank in the first instance where I'd tried removing it.

I left it draining all night, cleaned up and replaced with a new plug and new oil, and all seems to be holding, but the mower now won't start.

More than not starting, the pull rope has literally been yanked from my hands half a dozen times, and broken the top of the engine housing.

It started briefly once and I tried to leave it running to burn off the excess oil, and I did a couple of laps of the yard to test the new blade, and all was fine until a knocking noise happened up and the engine died on me.

I checked the blade to make sure it was tight, and checked the blade adapter at the same time, and the little metal key on the inside of the adapter that locks it to the crank shaft had completely crumbled.

It was absolutely intact the previous day!

So having been through all of this, I've got a very clean mower, with a new air filter, new plug, new oil, sharp blade and fresh gas that won't start.

Because the blade adapter broke I removed the blade altogether to try to start the mower, and I've had a few brief flurries of life, but they quickly die. It doesn't help that I'm slightly concerned about the thing breaking my wrist on it's odd flurries of intense power ripping the pull rope from my hands again. It's still doing that.

The air filter oil leaking has pretty much ceased, but it's still putting out a few drops while trying to start with the rope.

What can I do here? I feel as though it's simply that huge flood of oil that threw a spanner in the works and now I don't know how to go about cleaning it up, and have no idea what kind of damage that could have done...I imagine having a butt load of oil in the air intake can't have done much good?

I feel like I need an auto started to kick the thing into life and burn off that old gunk, because the pull rope is killing me as it stands.

Any advice or steps I can take would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on a very limited income and a single dad of two very young kids. Buying a new mower would be extremely unfortunate right now, and because I'm in rented accomodation, I'm really trying to not buy anything to facilitate a yard I may not own in 6 months...

Help!

Rob.

Comments (20)