SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
learningasigo

Update and questions re: lawn repair

learningasigo
16 years ago

Back in April I posted requesting advice on our lawn repair project. Quick recap - We live in SE WI (zone 5). We killed off large patches of tall fescue (approx. 1/3 of our acre lawn)in the fall last year. This spring we had black dirt delivered and seeded with KBG and rye, then applied starter fertilizer. I watered my butt off this spring as we've had very little rain. The grass came in though there are many bare spots and the new grass is much darker than the old grass which looks funny now but I am assuming I can get it to blend in better with overseeding in the fall. Tips on that are welcome.

The advice I got back in April was great but as I proceed with the project I just want to make sure I am still on the right track. I planned to use a hose sprayer and Weed-be-Gone for broadleaf weeds but only had one opportunity to try it since it has been 90+ degrees almost every day here. Unless the weather breaks I guess I don't have any choice but to wait on that, right?

According to the advice I was given it is time (end of June) to fertilize. I thought I'd use Milorganite since it can be used in the summer. Is that a good choice? Any comments on that? I know nothing about fertilizers.

I plan to overseed at the end of August and fertilize again then. I've never done any of this so any tips and suggestions are very much appreciated. What kind of fertilizer should I use? There are so brands, types and numbers etc. all of which confuses me. I haven't had my soil tested (only been here a year). And then I guess I need to fertilize (winterize) again in mid-November. Can I use the same fertilizer all of these times or are there types that are better for different applications? I don't want to come back in August and ask again. I am taking notes and trying to educate myself.

Thanks, again. Jennie

Comments (4)