SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlfromthegarden

HRM215 carburetor questions

girlfromthegarden
11 years ago

Hoping that maybe more specific questions might be answered rather than beating the life out of my old thread - this is about the Honda Harmony HRM215K1SDA mower (SN#MZBB6102559).

Boyfriend and neighbor helped look it over, but neither are familiar with Honda mowers. We took off the air filter housing, and boyfriend sprayed WD40 all over the carb to clean the junk off the outside.

Q1 - was that okay?

Both he and the neighbor said - adamantly - that it was ill-advised to take the carburetor apart to try to clean the jets, which I'd seen in online videos and hoped to try. Said the jets can get messed up because of being soft metal, and they wouldn't want to touch them.

Q2 - are carb jets that touchy to clean without harming?

Boyfriend did say that we could take off the carburetor and put it in a coffee can full of carb cleaner and let it soak overnight.

Q4 - is it safe to soak the entire thing while still fully assembled? (He knows Briggs engines but not Honda.)

Q5 - is there a way to get some cleaner (B12-Chemtool additive? Seafoam?) directly into the carb without dismantling it? We did unscrew the drain plug from the bowl and drained out the old fuel in case water had gotten into it, but didn't yet touch the gas in the tank, which is old. Do I have to dump the old gas out or unclip the fuel line from where it meets the carb? I don't think there's a fuel shutoff on this mower.

We did check the spark plug, and he said it looked fine (didn't have any "rounding" on the spark tip), and he had me pull the mower while the plug was out to see if there was a spark between it and a metal part on the engine (there was).

So probably a fuel issue making it not start/run at this time.

Note: Boyfriend is here, said he'll try to take carb apart rather than soak it, clean what he can, and said he wants to use a liquid gasket to put the spacers back on snug after blowing it out. Anyone ever do that, or should new parts be used each time you take the carb on and off? (He said you shouldn't re-use the old parts, ideally.)

Help is appreciated - I don't think either he or I really know enough about Honda mowers to go too far without guidance from those more familiar with them.

Comments (4)