SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littledog_gw

GE Silicon II question

14 years ago

Not satisfied with having the house in complete disarray from clearing out the spare bedroom and sorting through the closets for the annual Salvation Army donations, I've decided that now is as good a time as any to finally do something with the miscellaneous clear glass pieces that I've been accumulating since spring. (I call it multitasking, my DD lovingly refers to it as AADD.)

After reading up on totems and stackers and such, and on the overwhelming advice of the creative people here at GJ, I bought two tubes of GE Silicon II. I carefully washed and dried each piece, then spent the better part of yesterday stacking and rearranging them to my liking.

So here I am putting together my first Folly and just realized I have no idea how long it takes GE silicon II to set up. How long should I plan on having these sections and pieces of stacked glass sitting around the house? Hours? Days? Weeks?

I also noticed my tube of GESII isn't crystal clear like I was expecting; in fact, the stuff is milky looking, slightly opaque - is this okay? I thought it would look like E6000 glue, which *is* crystal clear, but is not recommended for long term outside use. Will this compromise the bond? Have I just ruined my favorite pieces by using old glue that will disintegrate when it gets cold? (these are for outside) There's not a date on the tube, so I don't know if it's old, or been stored improperly or whether this is normal or what exactly. Any advice?

Comments (10)