SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echoman_gw

ignition coil

echoman
16 years ago

Was parting out one LB 10301 to use better parts for another 301 mainly the coil, since the other was missing due to having a faulty one. Sure enough after I bolted this one on, it was bad too. No spark at all. So after a disgusted afternoon yesterday, I cleaned up and ordered a new coil online this morning. It then hit me about the past topic discussing using heat on them. I thought, why not try it at least. After 2 rounds of heating the steel laminates with a butane pencil torch, I let it cool down and threw it back on and whaddaya know?! We have ignition! Unbelieveable how that works!! I wonder what is really taking place inside? Does moisture creep in the edges of the epoxy past the laminates to create a dead short? Is this welding some of the fine copper wires that may have separated causing an open circuit? Strange, but it worked out for me too this time. How long might this be expected to last before it gives out again? Who out there did this and is still in service? It's not a big hassle obviously to replace, but will run this one and keep the new one ordered for a backup. I did however reseal the edges around the laminates with a super thin bead of RTV since I couldn't locate my epoxy. Great tip indy492! Thanks.

Comments (14)