SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beck_wi

warning...Knitting needles

beck_wi
14 years ago

Do you remember my cute glass birds on knitting needles? One of them is doing fine... the other,not so much.

I used two different needles. One is the metal kind and that one is doing great. The other is a kind of rubbery plastic and that one isn't doing so good.

I went out yesterday to water and thought someone had stolen it because it wasn't sitting arrogantly above my flowers.

When I looked closer, I noticed that the needle was bent and the bird was laying on the soil. I pulled it out and all of the needle that was below the soil is now soft. Why this happened,I don't know.

I plan to attach a thick wire to the side of the needle, but I just wanted to warn you guys before you go needle hunting at the end of the season rummage sales.

p.s. since the birds, I have done two more figurines and those are doing well on metal needles.

Comments (6)

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I wonder if the weight of the figurine weakened it. I've been trying to think of a non-knitting needle way of doing something like this. Some glas figurines I have are pretty heavy (I have a cute clear glass bunny like your bird). I wondered if gluing some sort of bolt to the bottom of them and then screwing it onto some threaded rod might work. I really need to go buy some threaded rod and try it out.

• garden2garden
    14 years ago

That's a good idea luna, I have some heavier glass stuff too I'd like to see outside, that would be nice and strong.

Thanks for the heads up beck. I hadn't even thought about a plastic needle, I pictured the metal ones. Strange about the part that was in the soil getting soft, if I'm understanding you right. I don't know what would cause that, with a plastic needle. Paint thinner will disolve some plastic but I don't imagine you've been spreading that around. Insecticide? Maybe just the heat of the soil. Oh, wait I just looked, you're in WI, maybe not.

• kacram
    14 years ago

threaded rod.. or non threaded.. pvc pipe, bamboo stakes, painted dowels... you could epoxy washers to the top of those and then epoxy your glass object...

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

You know there is a rod the size of a large metal needle
    you can get copper or brass I like the look of brass, anyway you can buy this rod fairly cheap and it comes in several sizes. It is very strong and bendable with needle nose plyers. I would think that most any hardware store would have it. Try it and see if that will work for you.
    It is the thickness of the needles but longer.
    Carmen

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

You can get electrical conduit fairly small I think. Then glue a little dish (upside down ?) or a small bottle or vase and glue your figure to that. Like a tea cup bird feeder concept. Though I think a small bottle or vase might be better cuz it would stay put then the bottom would be a good surface for your figure to stick to.
    kathy

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love the idea of the washer.. If I can find some with a small enough hole, I'm going to try that next.

The reason I chose the knitting needles is because I wanted a flat surface to glue to, without the bulkiness of adding a bottle/dish.
    I didn't want anything to get in the way of the birds. I felt that a vase or something would make it harder to tell exactly what they were at a glance.

The needle hardened back up after I removed it from the soil. I am convinced it was the moisture in the soil that softened it.
    I don't use insecticides and it was in my new grill planter, so there isn't anything residual because it was all new potting soil.... the only thing I can figure is it's a really old needle and is made of something other than what I assume is plastic.
    I only posted this so no one else gets the wrong kind.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting