SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmaninpgh

Love my new Toro 200056 Super Recycler, but . . .

jmaninpgh
16 years ago

There are a couple of annoyances that are bugging me.

First off this really is a well built machine from what I see. It replaced an older Craftsman push mower that I had.

I live in the Western PA area so we had some real wet weather until about 10 days ago. Because of things I learned in the lawn forum on this site, my grass has been growing vigorously and is very lush and thick. I like to mow very high and mulch only, and on this mower that is about 4 1/4". However, one of the annoyances that I have is that the weight of the mower causes the front wheels to crush the grass in a way that when the blade gets over that area there is nothing to cut. An hour or so later when the grass recovers, I have these wheel-width lines that have not been mowed. It looks like I had a few martinis before I mowed my lawn!

The other annoyance is probably also related to the height of the mower. Because I cut very high, the direction of the mower blade tends to send the mulched grass towards the back left wheel (while pushing the mower). This causes grass to cake up on the wheel. Then every so many feet, this falls off into ribbon like grass strips. This seems like a design flaw. It seems like I need a baffle or something to prevent the cut grass from discharging from underneath the mower and hitting that back wheel.

I would appreciate any comments if any of this makes sense to you. I know the lawn at this point is damp, but I don't have any drainage issues at all. This mower is much heavier than my Craftsman. I didn't seem to have this problem last year.

Comments (6)