SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrhorsepower_gw

honda hr214sx trans problems

mrhorsepower
15 years ago

i just got a hr214sx given to me as the self propelled feature doesn't work. (not a hydro drive. its a two speed drive that's entirely mechanical)

drive shaft disconnected at the engine and had been for awhile, slip joint rusted not allowing it to be re-connected easily, spinning drive shaft manually while holding bar lever did not engage rear wheels.

pulled trans and split cases to inspect internals. with the exception of the ring and pinion, everything looks perfect and functions properly. the ring and pinion dont look bad but show wear.

i can get the trans to function properly by ensuring the pinion is not allowed to travel towards (probably .006 to .010 in.) the ring center. keeping it 'pre-loaded' (like a car/truck's pinion would be) allows it to function properly.

is this typically what fails (the ring and pinion) to cause this style drive to not operate?

most everyone seems to love these old mowers (that ive read about). am i crazy thinking of putting appx. $175.00 into it (right now, it's zero)?

i'm sure that gear oil was in the trans. anyone know for sure what type, weight, amount it takes?

the front wheel bearings are bad. i am thinking of going to the local bearing/seal co. and finding replacements that are of a higher quality than the originals. anyone found these to be one of those 'weird sizes' that you cant find in the aftermarket?

sorry for the long post.

Comment