jeffo_grow

Toro 20067 vs Honda HRR216K5VKA?

Jeff (5b)
16 years ago

Hi,

My priorities are:

-reliability/longevity

-self propelled--I have a bad back

Other things are secondary but I realize some would make a difference. Any thoughts on these two or any others? Thanks.

Jeff

Comments (7)

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We looked at mowers and I've got it narrowed down to the Honda HRR216K5VKA (see link below) and have changed the Toro to this one:
    http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/superrecycler/20092.html

Toro:
    -aluminum deck
    -supposedly better mulching
    -longer warranty
    -Personal Pace Self-Propel (the thing you hold onto slides and goes faster with more pressure)
    -4 lengths for handle bar thingy
    -Port for putting hose in to clean bottom (of the mower) while it's running
    -Big rear wheel gear thingies but not sure if bigger than Honda
    -5 year warranty, one blade sharpening a year, couple other things

Honda
    -Honda engine
    -more control over the self propelling but hard to know without mowing on grass
    -twin blades

I know it looks like the Toro should be the choice but I still think they're very even. The Honda costs $70 less and has less features but I still have a good feeling about it.

Any thoughts? I'm having a hard time with this.
    Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Honda HRR216K5VKA

• christine
    16 years ago

Home Depot is having a sale - all Toros are going to be 10% off on Thursday until...??? However, I was told by a couple different places that the cast aluminum would outlast the motor...and that the steel was probably fine for 10+ years. I know the Craftsman I am retiring after 10 years has no deck issues and it is steel. I personally am buying the 20066 - personal pace, electric start, steel deck. I paid $300 or a little more 10 years ago for the Craftsman!!

I wish us both luck with our new mowers! I am sure my neighbors will be happy to see us out there taking care of business finally!

• christine
    16 years ago

Oops - the 20066 is w/o electric start. We're getting the 20067 with electric start. Towards the end I was having a hard time starting our mower, so it is worth it for $50. Plus, with the HD discount, I guess it is basically free, right? : )

I guess if you store it outside, the aluminum deck is worth it for rust reasons. We don't (or more precisely can't due to HOA regs) have to worry about that.

Is there any other difference? It seems like the same motor and general design.

Also, how does RWD do? Our current mower is FWD and it is so nice to just lift up the front wheels when necessary.

I hope to love my new mower. The last 3 years have been hell.

• plmn
    16 years ago

I don't have any problems maneuvering my 20092. The 20067 has a somewhat different drivetrain. It is not as high of quality, will not be as durable, and I don't think the transmission completely releases the drive wheels as the 20092 does. Could be wrong on the last part, that is what a salesman told me.

The aluminum deck is not just for rust. It will be quieter, last longer, and function better.

It boils down to you get what you pay for.

• zigschwartz
    16 years ago

I have had a Honda mower in the past, and also an Ariens w/ a Briggs engine like the Toro. The Honda engine was great for first 4 years and the became troublesome. I had a hard time finding a good repair shop in my area. Seems like any shop can fix Briggs easily. The Briggs engine was relatively trouble free, but the Ariens mower itself wasn't great - poor mulching. After my wife crashed the car into the Ariens this past season, I bought a new Toro SR4 w/ a similar Briggs engine. BEST MOWER I HAVE EVER USED! Takes a few mows to get used to the drive (personal pace) but the cut is AWESOME and it starts one one pull every time. I have a 20056 model from 2007 with blade override. Good luck.

• rrthor
    16 years ago

My experience:
    I have an HR214SX I bought new in 1983 for $575. Thats when you could only get them from Honda dealers. It performed flawlessly for 21 years. I did all the routine Maintenance myself.

Year 22: I had to replace the blade brake clutch. The part was $70 and the install was a breeze.

Year 23: The engine started running eratic. The fuel bowl on the carburator had some rust on the inside of the bowl that came off and cloged some of the passage ways. It was probably due to not draining the gas one year for winter storage. I cleaned out the carb and it was back to normal.

Year 25: Currently sometimes when you dis-engage the drive to stop the mower from moving it does not disengage. I am currently working on this.

The engine smokes on startup now but it goes away after a minute. It still starts easily and runs strong. I put a small hole in the deck when I hit a small rock. The deck has thinned out a little and some say it's from mowing your grass after putting fertilizer down.

I should retire this mower but I have become attached to this damm thing. It was well worth the 1983 price of 575. I don't think the Home Depot Honda's are any where near the quality of this mower. I am looking at a HRC2163HXA. It seems to measure up. It lists for $1169 but if it is as good as my HR214 it will be the last mower I will ever buy.

Rick

• jamesman
    15 years ago

Hi rrthor,

Year 25: Currently sometimes when you dis-engage the drive to stop the mower from moving it does not disengage. I am currently working on this.

I'm having the same problem with a Honda hr214 sx that I just picked up that runs strong and is in great shape other wise.

I was wondering if you've resolved the problem and or if you have any other info regarding the mower not disengaging or if any one else has any info in that regard?

Thanks,
    Jim