SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdbuckeye

How to repair small fescue patch killed by DEET

mdbuckeye
13 years ago

I've done a lot of reading here and have always been able to find the answers to my questions by searching, but this is not covered specifically anywhere that I can find. We had tall fescue sod installed in mid April. It is doing great, and I am enjoying mowing it every 4-5 days lately to keep it at or near 3.5".

Friday afternoon, as I was mowing, I hit a can of DEET-containing mosquito repellent. The can fell from my deck railing and was in a planting bed near the lawn (I even saw the can and made the conscious decision to go past it, having no idea that it would get into the mower, and I guess my mulching mower sucked it in and it exploded, sending the can flying about 20 feet away. It never occurred to me that this stuff would kill the grass, but this evening (after two days of drizzle and rain), I notice that there is a 1'x 2' patch of dead grass where the DEET can was run over. The grass is not dead where the can landed, just where it exploded.

What is the best way to repair this spot? Do I simple cut out the dead grass and seed or lay a new little chunk of sod? I could even move some sod from an edge of the side yard near a bed that is not as noticeable. Do I need to dig a few inches of the top soil out? I have plenty of compost and was thinking of pouring on some compost tea, perhaps with milk and sugar to get the microherd to eat away at the contamination, but then I read that DEET is not even biodegradeable and is now found in most of our water supply. I hate mosquito bites, but I can't believe that I've been putting this stuff on my kids and self.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks in advance for any advice. This area is in a prime spot in the back yard near the deck, and I would love to fix it asap.

Comments (2)