SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yjbrody_gw

Too late to plant grass seed?

yjbrody
12 years ago

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

We are looking to plant grass in our backyard and originally we were told that we would seed when the ground temps got warm enough for our area (Colorado at roughly 6000'). From what I have been seeing on here though, it looks like most are spring seeding in March and April. Is it too late for us to seed?

A little background on our plot and seed:

Full sun in most of area that we will seed (minor shade to 1/4 of area once our ash leafs in but still good sun). Decided on Sheep fescue, thickspike and crested wheatgrass mix (heavier on the thickspike). Picked those because we wanted a lower water variety but still lawn like (we have KBG in our front lawn). Manured, tilled and flattened the area of about 1000 sq/f. No other grasses/plants/anything are active in our prepped site.

My wife is tired of looking at dirt in our back yard and I would really like to get something going for this summer. :(

Also, how much should I seed. I have seen lots of figures, but was thinking of around 5-7lbs (broadcast). Is there an issue with applying too much seed?

Thanks for any and all help! This is all very new to me and I want to do it right the first time.

Brody

Comments (7)