SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spedigrees

Poor man's garden lighting.

spedigrees z4VT
14 years ago

It is my dream to have lights in all our gardens, but having electric outlets put in out in our meadow is cost prohibitive right now.

I did bury an underground outdoor extension cord to get colored patio lights in our picnic/firepit area, and we have colored floodlights in our back yard and post lanterns in the front. But I've been wanting to have lights in all my flower beds out in the back.

So for now I installed a bracket and hung an aqua glass vintage replica canning jar on the birdhouse/bottle tree and placed a tea candle inside it. I borrowed this idea from a post and photo on this forum of glass jars repurposed in the same way. Together with the solar "fireplace" light it brightens up my flowerpot garden.

I like the look of the aqua glass amidst the darker blue bottles and bought a set of 4 smaller, but similar aqua canning jars to mix in with the other bottles on the post. Hopefully they'll arrive soon.

My flu liner planter is all but obliterated by the mound of nasturtiums growing out of the top of it.

This past weekend I put shepherd's hooks in each of my 3 perennial beds in the far back of the meadow and hung glass lanterns. I wasn't able to get a good picture of the whole scene. Even with a tripod the image blurred, but you can sort of see the effect. These little tea candles burn for 4 hours or more, and I went to the dollar store and stocked up.

{{gwi:178941}}
{{gwi:178943}}
{{gwi:178947}}

Comments (14)