SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaleeisa

Wooden crate

jaleeisa
15 years ago

What a find! Last week I saw these sitting outside a warehouse that is near where my son works. He asked and was given one and was told to speak to the supervisor about getting more. They were just throwing them away! I am really excited about this! This first one will be a planter in an area that I'm leery of digging because of the gas meter and lines. I'm going to line it with burlap that I had leftover from my wedding (western theme, we used them as tablecloths!) It has starch in it, but I'm going to wash it several times to get that out. The lining is to keep the soil from falling out through the side slats. The bottom is snugly fitted slats. Once I get it filled, I'm going to poke holes through the burlap between the slats and plant trailing flowers, etc. to keep it from just looking like a square box.

DH and I have come up with several ideas for these, if I can get more. Among them are:

More planters for hard to plant areas

Storing hoses, garden tools

Storing bags of mulch, compost/manure, soil

Making benches and tables

Storage for the kids' outside toys

breaking apart and using as edging/fence panels around beds

I would use some as compost bins, but the landlord isn't real fond of the idea of compost bins... he's fine with lasagna gardening though.. go figure! So, making a compost bin is out until either the landlord changes his mind or we sign the papers to buy this house in a couple years once the landlord makes back the money he put into gutting renovations on this house.

Any other ideas? Resting inside is a new metal, twin sized headboard for one of my backyard garden beds. It's set in there just because it was where I wanted the crate, waiting for me to carry it into the backyard. But it does give a sense of the size.

{{gwi:32077}}

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:32076}}

Comments (7)