SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Help Needed for Lawn Weed Identification

Wayne Reibold
16 years ago

http://www.tlcwer.com/wynswrld98/CreepingLawnWeed.jpg

I have a lawn I planted from fescue seed a few years ago here in the Seattle/Tacoma Washington area but since I've planted it I've had other grasses invade it (surprise, surprise!).

The predominant other grass invading it (I posted the link for above) appears to be a PERENNIAL grass because I've been seeing it I believe all winter if that helps narrow things down as I don't think it's an annual weed considering I've been seeing it with frost on the ground and it survives. The color is a lighter green than the fescue.

The grass sends out runners with tentacles underground similar to bermuda grass that I experienced where I used to live but doesn't seem AS aggressive as bermuda grass but you can get long strands with "tentacles" on them as you dig into the soil and dig them up. This also was green in the winter unlike bermuda grass and isn't the same green as bermuda grass. The runners I've seen are usually short but I've seen as long as perhaps 6"-9".

The grass doesn't get overly tall, hangs pretty tight to the ground, only maybe 4-5" max when left unmowed (as in never mowed) but definitely chokes out any fescue in its path. It's unfortunately in patches throughout the lawn, not just in an isolated area.

Comments (12)