SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyk_gw

Advice on Heavy duty Zero Turn wanted

nancyk
17 years ago

After years of looking at the zero turn mowers, this should be the year we will get one. We live in the country, with a large lawn, parts sloping, with trees on it and other shrubs. We also have flat parts, and a lake next to our house with a dam. I've been mowing all this with our Scotts riding lawnmower, we bought this when it first came out from Home Depot, and it turns out we should have waited a year or two. We also have a finishing mower that goes behind out 38 hp tractor but when used on our slopping parts, the tractors skids somewhat and tears up the grass.

We have decided to splurge and get a commercial quality zero turn mower, a Kubota was suggested. We spoke with a friend in New York state who has one and he loves it. Some of our questions:

gas or diesel? - the diesel will cost more up front, and may add more weight will it be less maintenance, how about the power? is noise a consideration between the two types of engines?

liquid cooled or air cooled?- liquid cooled sounds better

do they all have an overdrive, in getting from point A to point B, when not mowing? Do they all have a creep speed?

what other things should I be considering? This will not be used commercially but if I like it as much as I hope, it may be mowing areas that we have always bushhogged in the past(not pastures but places the riding mower had not traction on).

we know the price range for the diesel is around $10,000 but if this is the last mower we will ever purchase, so be it. I hate that darn Scotts riding mower and cannot wait to see it off our farm

Comments (5)