SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomplum

Do as I say, not as I do....

tomplum
14 years ago

I had ordered spark plugs w/ my spring order for the vehicles as well- thinking, well it's probably been a while since the ones in my old shop truck had been replaced. You know, pop them in whether it needs it or not. Pulled the first one out, and my jaw dropped. Just a nub of an electrode left. Did you know that auto-gapping feature on standard Autolite plugs more than doubles the spark plug gap in 94k? .044- .095 on a few. Yikes! When people ask me on L&G equipment if the plug should be changed every year on their walk behind, I tell them that no, it isn't a necessity- but it's only got one. For the life of me, I didn't note a problem- but it seems to have better pick-up now! Ya think the NGK's will do 94K?

Comments (9)

• canguy
    14 years ago

I hear ya Tom. My truck is way over due for a tune up too and like you, I should know better.

• andyma_gw
    14 years ago

I once ran a set of Bosch silvers 60 k miles,A few months later when the platinums that replaced them started fouling, I put them back in for another 10k. 35k is about the most I run regular copper plugs. My cars are I 6s and plug swaps are easy.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Hey Guys do Glow Plugs Qualify lol ! Just Replaced my Original Set 300,00 KM F-250 International Navistar 7.3 litre.

P.S. Rule of thumb I have always used . NGK for Japanese
    Champion for Domestic and Bosh for European ! But as a current forum member has advised the proper x-referenced plug from any Major Manufacturer , Properly Gapped will Suffice !

• tomplum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hear ya Ewalk.For filters and plugs- put Motorcraft/Autolites in Fords, AC in GM, Mopar/ Champion on Chryslers. I especially like oil and air filters that are made for the vehicle. The old Ford got import plugs this time though. Always had Motorcraft filters. Have a newer GMC- gotta learn about that Dex-cool before too long. Volvo takes G5, DOT 4 SL6,- and Toyota trans fluid.... Mind boggling I know.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

I hear you on the Gear & Transmission Fluids Tom ! Just when I had it all prepped out Ford vs Gm vs Mopar , I had to buy a Jeep back in 1984 (Wrangler) CJ-7 talk about a Heinz 57 lol... sure kept me busy x-referencing on fluids :)

• tomplum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The AMC cars were odd like that weren't they? Kind of like our Volvo has a Toyota transmission (Aisin ?) or at least somehow related. It was nice to pay ~ $6 liter rather than buy the high $ Volvo stuff.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Yeah AMC kinda messed with yer Head , Ford Electronics , Chrysler Straight 6 (4.2 litre) Engine was Bullet Proof but it had a Carter Altitude Compensating Carb that never worked properly , I eventually replaced with a new Intake Manifold and Holley Two Barrel with Manual Choke . Believe it or not had a 5 Speed BMW Shifter along with Dana 44 & 48 Front and Aft. Nice Play toy but as you can imagine you had to have a Service Manual to keep on top of things. I had it for 8 yrs and finally let it go to a Youngster who made a Mud Bogger and Rock Climber out of it lol . It was a fun Ride , but like all Jeeps you had to be Hands on . :)

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

I have not put spark plugs in an automobile in ten years - they're all 100K on plugs these days. As for my OPE, as long as they start right and don't show any symptoms I don't change plugs. I finally had to put a plug in a mower I bought in 1989, but only because I gave it to my brother-in-law and he nearly ruined it with years-old gas.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

I here you Saxman ! I remember back when you routinely changed Plugs and Point & Condenser much more often. I guess with new Electronic Ignition , Computerized Fuel Delivery and better Plug Technology we are seeing much better performance and reliability. I just picked up a 1997 Geo Tracker for a Rural Mail Route. I changed the Fuel Filter , Air Filter along with New Plugs , Wires and Distributor . All appeared fine but since it had 250,000 KM thought I might as well get this along with Valvoline High Mileage Oil and Fram Filter out of the wya. I was surprised at the increase in performance and fuel economy change for the better , since all had appeared in the ball park previously ...guess you never know ? Anyhow time for the Mail to Go lol , Have a Great Day All :)