SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smokey_gw

Morrison 710 mower

smokey
16 years ago

Recently I noticed an advertisement for a Morrison 710 mower on the web in Australia and the information provided was not very accurate hence the following information for those that either consider purchasing one or need to maintain one -

The Morrison Rapier 710 mower was built in Hastings NZ in the late 1980Âs. My father purchased one in 1987 to replace a Deuscher and I have used and maintained it ever since. Morrison was taken over by Masport in approx 1990. The 710 model did not suit the Masport range and was discontinued which was a pity as it was far superior to other machines on the market offering a deferential for turning, low vibration and a reverse gear. Spare parts support from Masport has ranged from extremely poor to non existent.

Fortunately the Morrison was well built using readily available parts. The engine, a 11hp Honda and the Peerless gearbox and Peerless series 100 differential are all still available. A Peerless technical manual is available for free download on the web.

Apart from regular greasing, adjustments and replacement bearings the following problems have occurred requiring maintenance Â

1. Original plastic Fuel tank is easily damaged and was replaced with a 10ltr steel fuel container held by a fabricated steel bracket.

2. Drive chain and sprockets wore out causing chain to continually jump. Small drive sprocket is available from Peerless whilst the large drive sprocket can be purchased cheaply from most bearing shops and requires a couple of holes drilled to fit. Chain and sprockets are for American std mower chain not the industrial std chain sold in Australia. Plastic adjusters were available from Masport or could easily be fabricated.

3. Blade spindle was damaged by a loose blade and replaced with an original spindle a friend purchased directly during a visit to Hastings NZ some years ago.

4. The roll pins used on the drive gears can break. Readily available from the local bearing shop.

The only part I have had difficulty replacing is the 14T Module 2 drive gears which are worn out after 20 years of use. I believe these are standard metric module 2 spur gears and intend to purchase a pair of cogs from the net and modify to suit.

If anyone out there can add to this information then please do.

Comment (1)