SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drew_in_va

Turf Type Perennial Rye anyone?

drew_in_va
16 years ago

I am in the second year of a 3-year plan for lawn restoration.

The first year (last year) was all about geting rid of the undesireables: had LOTS of chickweed, violets, crabgrass, moss, etc. and RESEARCH. The lawn had very little actual grass.

In early September I scalped it, raked with a steel rake, and did an overseeding lawn restoration. My northern VA suburban lot is lots of filtered sunlight from tall trees. I like to cut lower than 3". After A LOT of research, I decided to go out on a limb and try a Turf Type Perennial Rye (TTPR) blend of cultivars that did well in the NTEP trials. Bought some good seed, rolled it, tended it properly over the fall and now...

HOLY COW - I can't believe the difference a year makes!

I still have a very few perennial weeds to deal with, but this lawn is kicking butt. By FAR the best in the neighborhood. I am cutting at just over 2" with a reel mower and it is DENSE and lush and green.

At the moment, it's growing a little too fast for my liking, I need to cut it about every 4 days to keep up.

I know the summer heat/drought/disease resistance will be the real test for TTPR in the transition zone, but at the moment I am loving the results.

Anyone else go with TTPR?

I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Comments (40)