SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shred_gw

My St Augustine grass is mostly dead

shred
13 years ago

I have been working on this yard since 2004, proper fertilization 4-5 times a year. Mowing level is higher (3-3.5 inches) in the Dallas area because of the constant sun. Last year the grass was at it's peak. Thick carpet green grass. It was undeniably the best looking yard on the street. I used Scott's brand year round treatment at this home for 6 years with no problems. The front yard is all St Augustine. The back yard is mixed St Augustine, Dalis grass, some Bermuda and other green weed grasses. It could stand a makeover, but before I got here the back yard was basically a dirt mound, so it is vastly improved but, by no means perfect.

When the yards started to green this year, my yard was very slow. It has usually been the first yard on the street to green. This year almost all my St Augustine in the front and back yard basically looks dead. There is some growth I would consider to be 15% or less, but noticeably brown allover. My neighbors' yard as well all the St Augustine is completely dead with "some" growth. All the other grasses in both yards however are growing strong. Only the St Augustine has been effected. Its as if someone fertilized the yard with St. Augustine killer. I've researched online that this could be a fungus, bugs, brown patch. My neighbor had a fungus and I even treated that side of my yard when I saw his issue.

I have dug up the dirt to 6 inches in various areas of the yard and it is moist. Rain has been very good in this area lately. During the winter we actually had snow 2 times. I have wondered if that may have been the cause. Other yards in my street don't seem to have taken this much damage. I fertilized 2 weeks ago and now think that may have helped some but the yard still looks terrible compared to the past years. In hindsight I probably should not have fertilized with the yard in this state of shock. Scant new growth is appearing and coming up. The roots look dead at one end and minimal green at the other end.

Any feedback on how I might speed up the recovery or what could have possibly caused this to happen would be greatly appreciated. I am unsure of the type of St Augustine I have.

Comments (16)